• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To Mill or not to Mill?

1968rt

Local time
5:42 AM
Reaction score
Was a good running motor with no leaks. Pits are outside of the fire ring. Im more concerned with the coolant hole. Blocks been milled .020 before. To clean it up its going to need another .020. Really dont want to mill it again. Any ideas?

IMG_7156.JPG

A little orange High Temp RTV around that and it should be fine.

Mill it, and then run a thicker Cometic head gasket to replace what you took off.

Mill it, and then run a thicker Cometic head gasket to replace what you took off.
Mill it and just run the .051 Felpro... Chances are the deck was taller than spec to begin with & the OE gasket was a .017 steel shim so two .020 cuts puts the heads .006 short of where they began & it was probably .015 taller than blueprint spec....

Was a good running motor with no leaks. Pits are outside of the fire ring. Im more concerned with the coolant hole. Blocks been milled .020 before. To clean it up its going to need another .020. Really dont want to mill it again. Any ideas?

View attachment 1536408
Mill it. Going.020 is nothing in the grand scheme of things. You can order head gaskets in whatever thickness you need if your compression is already where you want it.

JB Weld SUCKS. I’d never use it again.

Cometic [ & similar ] gaskets only work with super smooth surfaces. Using Cometic as is will only guarantee failure.

The block needs to be milled until it is flat, with no pitting/indentations. A Cometic gasket the correct thickness can then be used; may be have be custom made.

JB Weld SUCKS. I’d never use it again.
I've had success with filling seal wear ruts on axle shafts and other such applications and it still seals a cracked cylinder block on my spare 440.
Mike

Thanks Guys. Between the mill and Cometic gaskets its going to be over $400. Not worth it on a street motor. Im going to try the JB weld, only because it was working fine as is!

The key is using something of better quality.

I used JB on block pitting for my race motor. Clean it well. Spread it on with a razor blade. Motor was 15-1 with Cometics. Had zero issue. Also filled O-ring grooves in my 340. Never an issue either. The 340 was supercharged running 13psi of boost.
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back