• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To much initial timing

Runner71

Local time
6:42 PM
Reaction score
Generally, how do you know when you advance the initial to much?

Im at 28 and 37 tot. Try'd 34 ini and made a 3° stop bushing to be at 37tot and the car is wild

All in around 1200, using only one spring, lightest one.

Last edited:
You need to give us the specifics of the engine first, but no factory engine even approaches
that sort of initial timing setting - ever.
Not even in the ballpark...

You will know when your engine starts to backfire, ping and all of that stuff. You have to experiment with your engine and see what works best. I ser mine at 20*; anymore than that and the engine started to backfire...

What engine are we talking here? What modifications? Have you verified the timing marks
on it are accurate? So many variables here....

Make sure your vacuum advance is on the ported side of the carb too. If Edelbrock or Carter carb its the port on the left. If you are on the right then you are getting 100% manifold vacuum at idle thus advancing.

you will know when the engine tries to kick back on the starter during cranking.

With that much initial it often won’t turn over well to start. It’ll turn one cylinder and stop, another and stop, not the usual Rrrr Rrrrr etc

Im experimenting to see how the engine respond, so mayby i'll try to lock it and see how it does on the starter. Yes TDC and damper is correct. Also im reading on the vacuum ported vs manifold and it also seems to be from engine to engine. Last i checked comp it was around 10 warm so mayby it responds well to all the advance because off the fairly low comp. Im in my early 30's here and its my 3year wrenching Mopar BB so im learing and trying stuff 24/7 in my head:D

Im studying vacuum, ignition and carb spacers late nights:screwy:. The car go's really well for a amateur street car im just trying to optimize as i go:steering:

Last edited:
Ported vacuum was designed for emission requirement. Here is a great read on vacuum.

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/ad...know-about-vacuum-advance-and-ignition-timing

Sorry Frank, there's so many things wrong with that article. Might be because he's a chevy guy?

The debate as old as time rears its ugly head. Some people like to believe using manifold vacuum somehow gives your car better performance. I'm not one of them.

I watched that second video a couple of weeks ago. He might have been self taught when working on engines? He's pretty much spot on. Maybe he had a good teacher. I was looking for an excuse to post that video but this ported vs manifold has been beat to death and I'm not wasting my time on it anymore. :D

Ported vacuum was designed for emission requirement. Here is a great read on vacuum.

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/ad...know-about-vacuum-advance-and-ignition-timing

GREAT READING IF YOU DRIVE A CHEVY......but even GM did not use manifold vacuum advance on all its engines, but we drive Mopar. Chrysler (including Ford and several European manufacturers incl VW) used ported vacuum in addition to mechanical advance. How about Ford's early 6 cyl engines which used vacuum only, both venturi vacuum and ported vacuum and NO mechanical advance.
The use of ported or manifold vacuum advance is a matter of combustion chamber design, compression ratio, camshaft profiles, mechanical advance characteristics, and WHEN the ported vacuum signal (or manifold) is applied. Its simply not a: "my way is better than your way" issue and but WHICH way is the best way for an individual situation. Perhaps best determined by sound engineering principles OR the "seat of the pants" method.
BTW...this number 7,682 reviews of the venerable ported vacuum vs manifold debate.....
Just my opinion of course.
BOB RENTON

Well then its been hijacked, but all good info is great! This was about ignition most:thumbsup:

Sorry Frank, there's so many things wrong with that article. Might be because he's a chevy guy?

I watched that second video a couple of weeks ago. He might have been self taught when working on engines? He's pretty much spot on. Maybe he had a good teacher. I was looking for an excuse to post that video but this ported vs manifold has been beat to death and I'm not wasting my time on it anymore. :D

That thunderhead289 guy actually made 2 videos, in the second he clarified his reasoning was based on an engine with a stock cam. It's not a general rule you can just apply like he did, especially in the first video of his.

I'm a manifold guy, but I will say ported is easier to deal with as it has less variables to worry about.

Being a manifold guy, I also like more advance as the engine should be more responsive. One still has to listen to the engine and let it tell you what it likes because there are a lot of variables that can affect the tuning. For example, my dad's bee with a 440 and 906 heads has a locked out distributor and it's set around 38-40 degrees according to the timing mark. Not sure how accurate that timing mark is but it doesn't really matter as the engine loves it and the throttle response is something else. Of course it has a big .565 cam with overlap and it starts just fine with no kick back at all.

Generally, how do you know when you advance the initial to much?

answer; When the engine detonates under load.

Here's my 2cents;
Your "initial timing" needs to satisfy idle requirements and that is all.
Your Power timing is just that. From stall to about 3600rpm, your centrifugal timing has to satisfy the first rule; give it as much timing as she wants at WOT, until it detonates then subtract 2 or 3 degrees for a safety margin.
Now; by these two, your timing is correct under exactly two conditions; namely idle, and WOT.
Under the thousands to millions of other conditions your engine could be operating under,at any one time, all other timing is wrong; dead wrong.
That is where the vacuum advance comes in. It tries to bridge the gap.

Here is a test; rev your engine up in Neutral to about 2000rpm and set it on a fast idle step. Now reach in and start advancing the timing, and simultaneously readjusting the rpm to maintain the 2000 rpm. Just keep cranking and readjusting to 2000. When the rpm fails to increase with more timing, stop. Now read the timing. I bet you find a number over 50*. maybe over 55*. Maybe approaching 60*. Back the D up, and flip the engine back to idle.
So what did you discover? I'll tell you: under no load conditions at 2000 rpm, your engine likes way more timing than you imagined, am I right?
But if you had tried to drive it like that, it would not have taken much throttle to begin the death-rattle of detonation.
Between stall and about 3600rpm, your engine is very load sensitive. After 3600 not so much. So from stall to 3600, you the tuner have to satisfy the engines timing requirements for not just WOT, but the thousands of other in-between throttle and load settings.
Just reaching in and cranking the D to some arbitrary number that somehow satisfies your azzdyno is an exercise in foolishness.
What is the purpose of changing ignition timing?
Answer; to cause peak cylinder pressure to occur at a specific time (measured in crankshaft degrees), that provides the optimum energy transfer from the hot expanding gasses to the spinning crankshaft throws. Your optimum window is very small.
It takes time for the pressure to build , in the chamber, and as the rpm rises there is less and less time to get it done, so we have to start the fire ever sooner. Until somewhere between about 3200 and 3600 where this phenomenon stabilizes, and no more advance is required. This is under full load and full power.

But when NOT under full load NOR under full power the parameters change.
For instance; at idle, very few oxygen molecules actually find their way into the chambers when the intake valve is open. And of course, when they get into the chambers, they tend to space themselves apart to fill the entire cylinder. And the gas is not that crazy about it but in the best of situations it too spreads out. Now, as the piston comes up, it squeezes all those molecules ever closer together, but at idle, there are so few of them that it takes a long time for them to all find each other. And so sometimes, if you don't start the fire soon enough, some of those gas molecules often the biggest clumps,never do find oxygen to react with, and they go right out the tailpipe. Or maybe they finally find oxygen in the exhaust system, and burn there.So now you know why your engine likes so much advance at idle.
Your job, as a tuner, is to make it easier for the gas and the oxygen to find each other once in the cylinder.Well once the engine is built, you are sorta stuck with what you have.
If you have a carburator, you run into another road block which is the transfer-slot exposure underneath the primary throttle blades. That exposure has to be set over a very narrow range to baseline your idle fuel delivery, and your tip-in response. If you set the idle timing too far advanced, then to keep the rpm down, you have to reduce the throttle opening, which destroys the transfer slot fuel delivery. You can compensate for that somewhat with the mixture screws, and so you can make it idle. But now with the transfers drying up, you get tip-in issues and hesitations, sags or outright bogs. So you blame it on the accelerator pump, or worse the mainjet and spend unnecessary time working thru those systems, cuz all the engine wants is a tad more transfer slot fuel. But some guys get stuck thinking they have to have racecar timing on their street cars and so end up tuning for 20 to even 30 degrees of idle timing, (if they are tuning with a vacuum gauge). Don't be one of those guys. After the Transfer synchronization is set,your engine doesn't care about idle timing. Don't waste time looking for in the 20s when 12* is lots. Or 10 or 14 or whatever it ends up being to satisfy the Transfer slot exposure and a reasonable idle speed.
After that the mechanical timing is set for WOT conditions between stall and 3600.
And then the V-can does the rest. And very often, the Power Timing has to be sacrificed to satisfy the Part throttle timing.
Your azzdyno will never feel the difference of 2 or 3 degrees short of perfect power timing below 3600rpm, so don't waist an entire summer looking for it.

Last edited:
I like Luke, he's Thunderhead289. He puts out some good video's. I followed his advice on a budget Ford 302 build and have been really happy with it.
I don't know if he's self taught or not but he seems to be an engineer or something.

Auto Transport Service
Back