• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To vent or not to vent...

Dave532

Local time
8:39 AM
Reaction score
I have installed a Vintage air HVAC setup in my 69. Since these aftermarket HVAC systems do not have an 'outside air' option I am trying to decide if I should retain the factory fresh-air box under the driver's side dash. On the other hand, if I replace it with a plate that would make a convenient place for electronics, etc.

So, anyone have good or bad experiences retaining the fresh air box? Or should I simply open a vent window when I need fresh air?

I kept it. Hated to give up the passenger side. I use it often.

I got rid of mine and blocked it off. One less place for water to come in.

I'd keep it for sure. I even grafted in a fresh air box vent into the factory box with A/C on an old van years ago. The fact that many manufacturers don't even let air flow through with out using the fan just plain pisses me off. A friend has an old 2004 Honda Civic and the way that system works makes me think they designed it while they were on drugs. They weren't thinking outside the box, they just weren't thinking at all. What would you do if the battery is very low and its raining and your windows are fogging up? There is way too much electrical stuff on vehicles these days! Why not design in both? I like to have my cake and eat it too!

Thanks for the comments...I'm gonna install it. If it gets in the way, it can be removed later.

Auto Transport Service
Back