• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Today's side project saving a LD340...

1 Wild R/T

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:09 PM
Reaction score
Apparently the previous owner was a stripper... Thread stripper that is... Still need to do a little work but it's much better than when I started on it...

IMG_8267.jpg
IMG_8265.jpg
IMG_8266.jpg

when I see bolts, and not studs, holding a carb to an aluminum intake ......... :soapbox:

Funny thing is it had studs... It was on a running engine.. The X heads have eight stripped exhaust bolt holes, three stripped intake bolt holes & two stripped rocker shaft holes... I won't even bother to tell y'all about the problems I found with the short block.... It's all fixable but my buddy bought this as a running driving car & what it really is is a collection of junk that should have been left on the scrap pile...

My semi-ignorant arse would like to see something on the methods being employed...

Just a basic Helicoil... There are lots of thread repair inserts available & I've used most of them... Helicoils are good enough in this application....

Here's some else's video..

Just a basic Helicoil... There are lots of thread repair inserts available & I've used most of them... Helicoils are good enough in this application....

Here's some else's video..

Helicoils are great when you can't get the damaged parts machined easily. I used a couple on 906 heads a few years ago, and also on an intake manifold.

Auto Transport Service
Back