• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Too many choices for break in oil

cmkryzer

Local time
6:51 AM
Reaction score
So I am close to firing up the old 440 engine. Going thru the site to see which oils and additives to use is a little over whelming with all the different choices. Also, engine was rebuilt and been sitting for 10 years so a little worried on how things are gonna go. Plan on doing the pre oiling, watched a video on youtube, kinda self explanatory, but will be my first time. Just wondering on a few more peoples take on doing this initial start up.

Joe Gibbs,work for a guy who has 102 classic cars,unfortunatly all chevy and fords, and he builds his own engines, they use nothing but Joe Gibbs break in oil and use it all the other cars he has. It's green also,but good ****. I use Valvoline VR1,has good **** in it also,same price as Joe Gibbs,just preference

My machinist said don't run anything synthetic. When we broke our motor in on the dyno he had me use 25W-50 Pennzoil Racing Oil.
He said to run it for the first race then change it.
He didn't want to see any synthetic until the after the second oil change..

I'm going to listen do him, he hasn't steered me wrong yet.

So I am close to firing up the old 440 engine. Going thru the site to see which oils and additives to use is a little over whelming with all the different choices. Also, engine was rebuilt and been sitting for 10 years so a little worried on how things are gonna go. Plan on doing the pre oiling, watched a video on youtube, kinda self explanatory, but will be my first time. Just wondering on a few more peoples take on doing this initial start up.
I'd use VR1. And I'll share a bit of information regarding "first starts". If like most people you used assembly lube during the build, you'll find the majority ends up on the bottom of the oil pan. This is because the rotating assembly slings it down and the oil pressure washes it out and deposits it in the pan. So when the first real oil change come around, if you find what looks like sludge coming out, it's just assembly lube that wasn't incorporated into the oil.

Per ur original post it doesn't sound it really needs break-in oil,I.e. sat for 10yrs. Mine was broke in 20 ago, just changed oil& pre-lubed.

Per ur original post it doesn't sound it really needs break-in oil,I.e. sat for 10yrs. Mine was broke in 20 ago, just changed oil& pre-lubed.

Sorry, I was not very specific. It was rebuilt 10 years ago, never ran, all still new....

...My 440 sat for 15 years, I just made sure it turned easy by hand and primed it real good..for extra comfort squirt some marvel mystery oil in your cylinders. As far as oil I've been using the royal purple break-in stuff, not really cheaper than gibbs but I found it at napa. The other kinds were hard to find or you have to order them online

Last edited:
Back in the old days, before "break in oil", we used whatever oil we were going to use and I don't recall any issues doing so. I have always prelubed though.
Mike

Back in the old days, before "break in oil", we used whatever oil we were going to use and I don't recall any issues doing so. I have always prelubed though.
Mike
Amen! Nowadays though, regular oils don't have the zinc they used to have... just another way to stick it to us!

I've always just used a little thinner oil, maybe 10W-30 or 5W-30, prime the oil pump & then change the oil filter after the first 500 miles or so.

Sorry, I was not very specific. It was rebuilt 10 years ago, never ran, all still new....
I have one as well that was rebuilt about 7-8 years ago, and when I opened it up I did not like what I saw. A lot of the assembly lube had congealed/ hardened. I went ahead an blew everything apart and found stains on the cylinder walls where the pistons had sat.
Im sending mine out to be boiled out again and then put it back together...

I've always used Rotella to seat and clean the engines...then dump in the Brad Penn.

Rotella does NOT have the Zinc content it used to have. Brad Penn is about the only off the shelf brand now that has enough zinc for the older engines.

VR1 works also, but is a synthetic.

Lots of soft metals in my old stash of Rotella. I have about 20 gallons of it in reserve. I used to have a pallet of R12 refrigerant, also. When I hear "good-stuff" is gonna be discontinued....I stock-up.

Auto Transport Service
Back