• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tools Explained

1655060692845.png

1655060858830.png

Once you get used to the Metric system, you'll realize that it is massively superior to either Imperial or US measurement. I am Canadian and we have been metric for some 45 years now. There are those who refuse to use the superior system, but they are slowly disappearing. The trick is to simply use it. Don't try to convert one system to another. Just use it. You will quickly get used to it.

A perfect example is temperature. In the metric system, zero is the freezing point of water, 100 is the boiling point of water, 20 is comfortable room temperature or a nice spring day. Thirty is damned hot and -30 is damned cold. All else falls in between. What else do you need to know?

By the way, kilo and metre is kil'ometre. Kilom'eder is not a word and it is a massively common error. Wake up!
Unmitigated....
bullshitometer.jpg

Once you get used to the Metric system, you'll realize that it is massively superior to either Imperial or US measurement. I am Canadian and we have been metric for some 45 years now. There are those who refuse to use the superior system, but they are slowly disappearing. The trick is to simply use it. Don't try to convert one system to another. Just use it. You will quickly get used to it.

A perfect example is temperature. In the metric system, zero is the freezing point of water, 100 is the boiling point of water, 20 is comfortable room temperature or a nice spring day. Thirty is damned hot and -30 is damned cold. All else falls in between. What else do you need to know?

By the way, kilo and metre is kil'ometre. Kilom'eder is not a word and it is a massively common error. Wake up!
.002 = .0508 mm.....how is the metric system easier? Besides, I have to buy all new mics that read metric. Screw that. Thousands of dollars out the window....now you know why 'we' were/are so against it. Yeah, the metric system has been trying to force it's way in here for a long time too but for some reason beyond my belief, it's not working. Even the weather stations still ain't using it for forecasting the temps etc. Yeah, there are some machine shops here that's moved to it but not that many so far.

If our great leaders would have had some foresight we would have switched in 1900.
Mike

If our great leaders would have had some foresight we would have switched in 1900.
Mike
Why not long before 1900? After all, didn't it get started 100 years or so before that?

.002 = .0508 mm.....how is the metric system easier? Besides, I have to buy all new mics that read metric. Screw that. Thousands of dollars out the window....now you know why 'we' were/are so against it. Yeah, the metric system has been trying to force it's way in here for a long time too but for some reason beyond my belief, it's not working. Even the weather stations still ain't using it for forecasting the temps etc. Yeah, there are some machine shops here that's moved to it but not that many so far.
What if .05 mm was the ideal setting, but .0019685 inches was too hard to put on a gauge so they rounded up to .002? :)

What if .05 mm was the ideal setting, but .0019685 inches was too hard to put on a gauge so they rounded up to .002? :)
Doubt that much of a difference would make a hill of beans lol

That was my point...why not use .05 mm instead of .0508. :)
Why use either one? At .050 and 8 ten thousands....round it up to .051 as 2 ten thousands (.0002) ain't gonna make a hill of beans either. When I was still working as a machinist we would at times get a print that was metric and rounding off was never an issue unless you were making something really really small where a 1 ten thousands (.0001) might make a difference. And none of my machinists measuring tools measure in metric.....so......and yes, my mics have the .0001 scale on them so if needed, I could hit it. There were a few times where there would be a size on the print like on a shaft size of 1.500 +/- .0002 but like I said earlier none of my tools measure in metric an sure ain't gonna buy new ones that do at this stage of my life.

Why use either one? At .050 and 8 ten thousands....round it up to .051 as 2 ten thousands (.0002) ain't gonna make a hill of beans either. When I was still working as a machinist we would at times get a print that was metric and rounding off was never an issue unless you were making something really really small where a 1 ten thousands (.0001) might make a difference. And none of my machinists measuring tools measure in metric.....so......and yes, my mics have the .0001 scale on them so if needed, I could hit it. There were a few times where there would be a size on the print like on a shaft size of 1.500 =/- .0002 but like I said earlier none of my tools measure in metric an sure ain't gonna buy new ones that do at this stage of my life.
Your last sentence, sadly, hits home. I often look at tools and such, but then I think it would have been great to have them twenty or forty years ago but now...probably won't get that much more use out of them.

Millimeters becomes the universal measurement in a lot of cases. Dealing with quality control and the company having China making a lot of parts decimal is probably too complicated for them?

I ran into some German prints when working on a bearing race machine once. Try reading those measurements. It wasn't metric or MM. Help me to remember what it might have been.

Ever build a home in the US using metric system? Studs 16” on center is what in CM? 4x8’ of plywood is what in M? I wonder how metric countries frame and sheath their buildings?

Ever build a home in the US using metric system? Studs 16” on center is what in CM? 4x8’ of plywood is what in M? I wonder how metric countries frame and sheath their buildings?
I started working with my dad building houses when I was 14. It started out as a way to watch me NOT get in trouble during the summer and well, I stayed with it until Uncle Sam got me when I was about to turn 20. Yup....was in basic for my birthday lol. Went back to it when I got out a couple of years later but the economy took a dump and the building business followed suit and ended up working in a steel mill. A few years later I became a machinist so I was heavy into the U.S. system and really wasn't interested in the metric stuff.

I just pulled a number out of my ***. My point was we should have switched a long time ago.
Mike
I disagree because I don't think we should have moved to it at all! And yeah, I know this country is in the minority with it these days.

Auto Transport Service
Back