• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tools Explained

I disagree because I don't think we should have moved to it at all! And yeah, I know this country is in the minority with it these days.
Growing up and living in Canada during the "conversion" period, we had to learn both systems.
My lathe and mill have DRO's. Push the button and they measure in either system. Works for me.

Growing up and living in Canada during the "conversion" period, we had to learn both systems.
My lathe and mill have DRO's. Push the button and they measure in either system. Works for me.
The metric system wasn't even talked about when I was in school let alone teach it. Even during my machinist apprenticeship it wasn't mentioned and that began in 1980 and knew that it was 'invading' us at that time lol. Didn't retire from there until 06 and even then it wasn't being used in the central shop where I worked the majority of the time while working for the refinery....

.002 = .0508 mm.....how is the metric system easier? Besides, I have to buy all new mics that read metric. Screw that. Thousands of dollars out the window....now you know why 'we' were/are so against it. Yeah, the metric system has been trying to force it's way in here for a long time too but for some reason beyond my belief, it's not working. Even the weather stations still ain't using it for forecasting the temps etc. Yeah, there are some machine shops here that's moved to it but not that many so far.
how about too many ......
1665402297503.png

how about too many ......
View attachment 1355570

Who remembers back in the late 70's when the manufacturers started using torque head screws in the headlights?

Customer comes in needing a new headlight. Napa down the street has a new one, go to change it and there's this goofy looking screw head holding it in there. Had to track down a torque head screwdriver real quick!

And the rest is history. :rolleyes:

In defense of a few of screw heads designs power/air tools made them necessary.

A Tiltrotator. Watch his other videos like tree removal. Makes it look easy plus this attachment is so versatile. (You'll have to back it up to the beginning)

Last edited:
Screw heads and genders are the best comparisons I have heard yet. A new one gets created just to make it harder for it to get screwed!

PLIERS: Used to round off bolt heads. Sometimes used in the creation of blood-blisters.

VISE-GRIPS: Generally used after pliers to further round off bolt heads. If nothing else is available, they can also be used to transfer intense welding heat to the palm of your hand.
Lol. Don't think I've ever used pliers for bolts.

Auto Transport Service
Back