• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tools Explained

maybe we need a useless tool thread...... whoever invented the keyless chuck needs a good beating

Ok.....
maybe we need a useless tool thread...... whoever invented the keyless chuck needs a good beating
I have to disagree I happen to like them and they work well
I like them for the small jobs but a keyed chuck is always better for the bigger jobs. I'm a machinist with a couple of years experience and well, keyless chucks do not work but not all too well for the bigger jobs.

to no one in particular..... but the immediate wise *** reply would be

"well, I definetly need a keyed chuck when I'm drillin' your sister"

and then the fight started

:nutkick:

to no one in particular..... but the immediate wise *** reply would be

"well, I definetly need a keyed chuck when I'm drillin' your sister"

and then the fight started

:nutkick:
:rofl: Oh dayam!!!

How much is that thing? I have a fine tooth 3/8ths drive that has served me well. Years back I broke one and took it back to sears where they tried to replace it with a coarse tooth ratchet.....no way baby. Took me getting the supervisor out on the floor to help edddycate the not in the know about tools sales person that was on the floor that day. At first the supervisor didn't know either lol

We had "zero degree" ratchets on the MAC truck too. They were a roller clutch like a sprague in out Torqueflites. THey did require a few degrees of rotation to get them engaged. The clutches had to be pretty tight to provide strength so they had a lot of drag on the rebound. Once the fastener was broke loose you had to hold onto the socket to make it ratchet. Not a good design. It was a good idea on paper.

A significant drawback to this type of rachet is the need to remove it from the fastener to reverse it. In some tight spots it could get trapped making it difficult to remove.

The first time I encountered an overrunning clutch (exploring a torqueflight problem) my initial thought was it would make a great rachet except for the reversing issue.

1712357242298.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back