• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Top 3 Greatest Guitarist Ever

Walter Becker of Steely Dan is also another amazing guitar player who is extremely under rated.

There are lots of "session" guys that virtually no one knows about that are GREAT.

...like Eliot Randall on Steely Dan's "Reelin in the Years".

...and guys that do session work for bands other than the band they are a member of.

Steve Lukather (Toto) absolutely smokes on The Tubes "Talk to Ya Later".

SMOKES!

Wow! I didn't see any mention of Steve Howe from Yes/Asia. He could do it all. Rock, jazz, classical, metal and even country. Well rounded in it all. I agree with Roy Clark. The best finger picker by far.

A personal favorite of mine is Randy Bachman from BTO. Very smooth jazzy style.

I've been noticing lately that the opening chord progression in "Owner Of A Lonely Heart"...

...is extremely similar to the opening riff in "Heat Of The Moment".

Coincidence?

Mathias Jabs is another relatively unsung master.

Everyone knows Scorpions (and frequently the former guitarists get cited- Roth and Schenker), but Jabs rarely gets accolades for some reason.

I find the majority his work to be almost impossible to execute.

Last edited:
I've been noticing lately that the opening chord progression in "Owner Of A Lonely Heart"...

...is extremely similar to the opening riff in "Heat Of The Moment".

Coincidence?
Owner of a lonely heart is played by Trevor Rabin. Steve Howe went to Asia, Yes brought in Trevor.

Everyone knows Scorpions (and frequently the former guitarists get cited- Roth and Schenker), but Jabs rarely gets accolades for some reason.

I agree with you, Jabs is underrated, and responsible for much of the Scorpions success and sound.

If you were to pick the best 3 guitarist who ever picked up the guitar, who would these 3 be? I’ll start; 1. Eddie Van Halen. 2. Roy Clark. 3. Ted Nugent
IMO, and just IMO, like everyone else, none of the above make it but I have seriously enjoyed them on a huge level.
Eddie was creative in the use of what has already been done before him. He is fun to watch and an awesome guitarist.

Roy Clark is amazing. This is the first guy to actually “WOW!” me.

I love Uncle Ted! This guy can create some of the absolute best blazing on fire leads I have ever heard. I’d love to see him in “That Mood” where he doesn’t have a care in the world, in his own world, is just having a blast, in his own world, shredding that guitar to bits. I love this guys work. He is a ton of fun. He is rock and roll American style.

Keeping this to a late ‘60’s and to late ‘70’s rock and roll;

Jeff Beck - Pay attention! The worlds biggest names publicly and openly elevate and bow to his work as the top man on the instrument. If the best of the best are telling you this guy is amazing, what did you miss?

Jimmy Page - A great mix of the blues, rhythm and blues, hard rock, sweet melodies and some blazing riffs, this guy can really put it together.

Eric Clapton - A fella that can make guitars and people cry all at once be it a super sweet melody or just a darn crafty set of licks, when it comes to making the guitar a stand out person rather than something you hood and play, this fella is a master of making enjoyable music that can really be enjoyed.

My dark horse nomination- I’d like to add Adrian Smith of Iron Madien. Still to this day the man can play his songs with perfection and his solos were outstanding.

There are so many amazing string players out there.

IMO opinion the top three would include Keith Richards of the stones followed up by Muddy waters, Clapton and geez where do you stop! I agree with you guys so much talent.. !

Richie Kotzen….. Gary Moore……. May as well throw the late great Jeff Healey in there, not too many could do what he could.

Owner of a lonely heart is played by Trevor Rabin. Steve Howe went to Asia, Yes brought in Trevor.
I remember seeing that concert on MTV as a teen-ager. Rabin was incredible. It's too bad he didn't do more.

I remember seeing that concert on MTV as a teen-ager. Rabin was incredible. It's too bad he didn't do more.
It was a great concert…I saw them in Seattle on the 90125 tour. He was a sought after studio musician before Yes, and returned to do the same after. Also produced a few albums. Hes one of my favs and in my top 10-15, but just doesn’t have the body of work many other discussed in this thread, have.

5:05-6:05, 10:00-13:45 (acoustic jam), are some of his best:

hold on 9012 live at DuckDuckGo

I just saw them in Denver on Thursday night. They're still getting it done! Jabs is 66, now, and Klaus and Rudolph are 74.
Interesting leadoff band called Thundermother - all chicks from Sweden. They hit the jackpot when Whitesnake had to pull out of the tour. They weren't bad - vintage 80s metal style.

Of those I've seen perform live:

Stevie Ray Vaughn
Jimmy Page
Alex Lifeson

Honourable mention:
Ritchie Blackmore
Joe Perry
Carlos Santana

EDIT!
I can't believe I forgot Mike Campbell he's one of my favorites.
This age thing is killing me.
Finally, someone mentions Alex Lifeson!!!!!!

This is impossible, but here are three favs:

Malcolm Young, who was the soul of ACDC but stuck to rhythm guitar because it made him happy and he could still play his chord's drunk as a skunk. That was a man of principles.

Stevie Ray Vaughn who was more one with his guitar than anyone has ever been.

Billy F Gibbons, ZZ Top. No explanation necessary.

Auto Transport Service
Back