• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Top Results at Mecum Kissimmee 2023

Richard Cranium

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
6:58 PM
Reaction score
I watched a couple hours of it over the weekend and it seems like 100 grand is now a starting price to spend on vintage cars. I saw one 1967 Chevy restomod pickup truck go for over 200 grand. This leads me to ask ....what recession?

The well heeled will always have extra money to get what they want.

Not to a smarty pants but from my experience with GM products is they are considerably cheaper to build than anything else... so at 200k someone made bank. I’d rather have a wing car than that... imo

Momma always said don't confuse my wants what my needs.
Wait.
Actually what I think she said more was "You're old enough not to let your wants hurt you."

Not to a smarty pants but from my experience with GM products is they are considerably cheaper to build than anything else... so at 200k someone made bank. I’d rather have a wing car than that... imo

Wing cars seem to be going for 300 large for a Superchicken and pushing 400 for a Daytona.

The Rising cost's of all vehicles, is another product of inflation, and our de-valuing Dollar. No different than buying a New Car, or a dozen eggs. Everything is up.
As far as the starting/selling prices, the folks with money are investing their savings into liquid assets, as when the currency bottoms, you still have something to hold in your hand. No different than precious metals, or real estate. Most of the Buyers are spending "loose change"...

The $130k + 10% for the black, 4-speed, hemi 67 GTX was healthy. But to me these, large glamour auctions seem to be somewhat a separate world from the world of daily person to person or dealer to person sales.

The $130k + 10% for the black, 4-speed, hemi 67 GTX was healthy. But to me these, large glamour auctions seem to be somewhat a separate world from the world of daily person to person or dealer to person sales.
I was there in person, and that GTX was really nice, and I think well bought in the current market. Some other B bodies, not so much.

Some serious money being thrown around at Mecum.
The Mecum family can buy a bigger jet with their commissions!
You have to wonder what the buyers do with some of these cars. I was watching when the NASCAR Daytona sold for 1.325M if memory serves. Some guy who looked around 70 got it, does he own a museum or just a private collection?
Not like he can drive it, not street legal. So it’s just a full sized version of a 1:18 model some of us might have displayed on a shelf.
Both the model and the real car serve the the same purpose really, something to display and admire.
But hey if you have the money and the space, why not?

Didn't this exact thing happen in 2008 or so? Everything went into the shitter and numbskulls bought cars as investments? That's when all the stupid money started for collector cars.

Being somewhat out of the hobby now and not looking for another project or ride, I have to chuckle when I view these auctions and how easily a fool and their money are parted from each other. I like the vehicles and all, but this over the top money being spent just blows my mind when it could be put to something more useful...IMHO...cr8crshr/Bill :usflag: :usflag: :usflag:

We are all priced out of our own hobby! I can't hang with them with 383 automatic 69 Road Runners selling at 165K!

Didn't this exact thing happen in 2008 or so? Everything went into the shitter and numbskulls bought cars as investments? That's when all the stupid money started for collector cars.
yep after it had started in about Nov. 2007 - on steroids into 2008/early Jan 2009-ish
continued for about 8 years, to decline (depending on the actual cars & homes)

before the housing market completely crashed
people didn't have equity (predatory loans) in/on their homes
anymore after it
prior to that, lots of people were taking out tons of cash "equity" from their homes
then it all came tumbling down
(people buying ****, they shouldn't have/didn't qualify for, with no skin in the game, nothing down)

right about the, time of
"too big to fail", (Barney Frank) debauched govt. bailout

auction houses have their place
people with cash to spend or great credit & can afford to buy/pre-approved
a captured audience, ready willing & able to spend crazy $$$

not the basic general public/not pricepoint shoppers
not daily drivers/cheaper market cars that were unrestored/basketcases
rusted hulls from hoards, selling for way over their worth/value

some might say; "more $$$ than brains"
(but the investment has now paid off in spades, if you sold at the right time
that's if you had the fortitude/$$$ to weather the shitstorm, to begin with
)
or unless you were one of them that 'got the ****', on the way down
& sold last week, at Mecum or later this month at Scottsdale Az. BJ

Last edited:
For a lot of the buyers, $200K is walking around money…
Are you serious??? Most ordinary people hardly have that much in their 401K. IRA, or let alone savings. I don't know what world you live in but in mine, it is a penny pinching tight wad watching every cent that goes out the door....Just sayin' is all...cr8crshr/Bill :usflag: :usflag: :usflag:

Most of us cannot play in their end of the pool! I'm glad I bought most of mine years ago when they were cheap and undesirable!

Are you serious??? Most ordinary people hardly have that much in their 401K. IRA, or let alone savings. I don't know what world you live in but in mine, it is a penny pinching tight wad watching every cent that goes out the door....Just sayin' is all...cr8crshr/Bill :usflag: :usflag: :usflag:

Of course I’m serious, do you think the guys dropping a cool $200K for a collector car are strapped for cash? To guys like you and I that’s a lot of dough, but to them it’s play money.

I tagged along when Car Craft was shooting my brother in law’s 340 Dart, one of the other cars they were shooting at the time was a ‘55 Bel Air. I struck up a conversation with the owner while his “builder” was working with the Car Craft staff. He never turned a wrench, but by his own admission he wrote checks to the tune of more than $250K. He seemed to be a pretty nice guy who worked his *** off and built a very lucrative marine salvage operation.

I know im glad i have the hemi car I do.

No way could i pull that trigger in the market today

Auto Transport Service
Back