• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Torqe sequence to remove 440 magnum valve covers?

Bens69PlymouthSatellite

Local time
7:16 AM
Reaction score
I have a 440 mag. Engine that I baught with vintage Mickey thompson valve covers on it and I've looked everywhere for the proper torqe sequence to remove them w/o damaging them because I would like to put mopar valve covers on the engine but I'm having no luck, also if anyone is interested in the MT valve covers I would possibly part w/ them for the right price they are in perfect condition just need to be cleaned!

I don't know that there is a "proper" sequence. II will usually start the lower bolts first, then do the top. I do this to make sure the gasket surface is directly over the "rail". I use a 1/4 drive ratchet and take them "one hand tight" working them much like head bolts.

A note about stock covers. They have a tendency to "spread" in the middle such that the gasket surfaces (top and bottom) don't both line up with the rails. So test fit them and look for this. Also check to make sure they aren't bulged under each bolt hole

just screw them off and dont worry. The 1/4 inch bolt torque values arent going to do anything to cast covers. and they may be vintage but they arent rare

thanks again especially to username 69 runner you have been very helpful and to daredevil thanks for clearing up that those valve covers are not rare ive been told otherwise and some of this stuff is new to me which is why im on the forum to learn and talk to other mopar enthusiasts who's experience is greater than mine also nice ride daredevil well although the MT valve covers are not rare if some one makes me an offer on them I would still part with them,thanks again!

The "standard" M/T finned covers aren't unusual at all. However, it's possible you have some strange variant that IS unusual. Post a pic of them and we'll tell ya if they're something out of the ordinary.

No prob about helping out. We're all happy to do it.

Auto Transport Service
Back