• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Torque converter bolts rounded off. What are my options?

Heat the shank of the 6 point wrench and bend it to the optimum angle. Then a little heat on the bolt or converter. Heat always helps with locktite. Get the wrench to fit. Wedge a pry bar or screw driver between the block and wrench to hold it tight against the bolt. Then smack the wrench with a hammer. The shock will break it loose.
Doug
I use a small piece of wood engaged between the ring teeth & bell housing to avoid damaging the teeth.

I use a small piece of wood engaged between the ring teeth & bell housing to avoid damaging the teeth.
The pry bar placement I mentioned was behind the head of the wrench to keep it pressed onto the bolt head. Those teeth are way stronger than you can believe. I'm surprised that on my motor the starter hasn't busted and sheared teeth. It's all you can do to rotate it with a 2ft long ratchet. Lucky to move it 2-3" in one pull. 15-1 310/800# springs. Same stock mini starter going on year 8, 640 passes.
Doug

OK, my piece of wood keeps the converter from rotating while I'm loosening or tightening the bolts.

Building your own customized tools is something I've done for years when I can't get a regular tool to fit. When working on older cars or something someone else has messed up, sometimes requires a bit of thought and design ingenuity, something not everyone has. My son-in-law was amazed when we were working on my granddaughter's Jeep and I had to make a tool to get into a tight location to remove a bolt he had rounded off. I too used a ground down six-point impact socket and a piece of 1/2" cold rolled round stock with an offset in it. I'm glad you got it off.

Auto Transport Service
Back