• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Torqueflite Won't Upshift

al_wildman

Local time
12:06 AM
Reaction score
Pushbutton Torqueflite A727 in my 1962 Sport Fury will not shift 2-3 at all; also inconsistent on 1-2 shifts. Checked fluid level and Lokar throttle linkage; both are correct. I recently put a B&M deep pan on it and adjusted the bands in the meantime. Engine is a V code 413 (1964) with Weiand high rise 2-4 barrel setup, hence the Lokar throttle and kickdown cable linkages.

Any thoughts? Surely the B&M stuff is universal, for all pickup possibilities.

Thanks

How many miles on trans? Was there much debris in bottom of pan when u changed it? Dirt in valve body/ worn out bands/clutches or worn rings on servos is my first guess. Or incorrect throttle press. adjustment?

How many miles on trans? Was there much debris in bottom of pan when u changed it? Dirt in valve body/ worn out bands/clutches or worn rings on servos is my first guess. Or incorrect throttle press. adjustment?

Trans had normal amount of black residue in pan. All I did was adjust all 3 bands. I have an inch-pound torque wrench so that should be ok. All bands were pretty loose. Mileage unknown, but interior was clean and fluid wasn't burnt.
Thanks

I thinks its your filter. And extension. I believe your trans has 2 oil pumps. And uses a different filter to acommodate the rear pump. Look at your old filter. Does it have 2 outlet?

don't have my old filter, but I wondered the same thing. How do I check for sure? My trans is one of the old ones and I think it does have two pumps. Is there a casting no, etc, I can verify?

Thanks

If your trans output is a flange plate instead of a u-joint yoke, if it has two cables, if it's before 1966, then you have two pumps.
Supposedly you could push start them if needed.
If anyone's ever seen that done, tell us.

Down and dirty. Pull that filter and extension. Pan on,refill with fluid. Go for a short drive.

If this helps, here is a picture of the filter that came out of my 727 when I put on a similar B&M. The new filter looked like the old one with the one hole. I made sure the extension lined up properly and there were gaskets on both sides. This might not apply as it is a later 727 than yours.

IMG_0968.JPG

Last edited:
Yes. And I believe that is what hangout is suggesting.

The trans will pick up fluid as the fluid level is above the filter and just about covers the valve body. Dont forget the 3 screws that would hold the filter on.

This is the B&M picture of the kit model number I installed. Looks like the extension has only one suction hole as y'all feared. Cannot believe B&M would not include these type precautions. Hopefully, I will have time to drop pan tomorrow. Hope there's no damage. Thanks for y'all's insights.
B&M 10280.jpg

Is that extension solid aluminum? Nice. Not like the old shakey ones.

Auto Transport Service
Back