• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Torsion bar dust boot help

eagleone1983

Local time
9:57 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a couple newbie questions for ya. First, I am rebuilding the front end (first time and most everything has gone smooth so far) I have the P S T kit but I ordered torsion bar dust boots from Energy Suspension. My problem is I can't get the dang boots over the torsion bar. Does anybody have any tips to get these over? I already tried slopping grease on them but that didn't work. I'm thinking about heating them up so they are more pliable. I'm for sure I have the right ones for my app. (p/n 5.13101).
The second question and I'm sure this might make me sound dumb but are the tie rod ends interchangeable? I can't tell a differance in the PST inner and outer tierods except for one of them seems just a little bit thicker than the other. Thanks for any of the help. Some day I'll be as knowledgeable as all of you.

I gave up on those boots, cause I couldn't slide them on (with the bar in the car) using one hand to hold the bar and the other to work the boot. Maybe if you put the boot on the bar first, then before reinstalling the lower control arm, install the bar from the front side of the crossmember.....

Yes, there is an inner and an outer. Look at the threads on them

To late on the driver's side, already installed the LCA. I guess I'll be listing them on ebay for somebody else to deal with or hopefully I can send them back. Where did you get CORRECT boots for your car runner? The only ones I've been able to find besides Yearone which are pretty expensive are from Energy. Plus now that I know only certain ones will fit I want to get the right ones.

Nevermind I found them at Mancini racing. Thanks though.

In case anyone else wants to know....

p52496092.jpg

Use a socket and slide those puppies on, never mind all the old & new words you will use.

Trust me enough words have come out of my mouth just changing the 40 year old brake lines. Even line wrenches seem to want to round'em out. I just went ahead a ordered the mopar styled boots so I can save myself a headache. I just want to get the suspension back together and throw some brake fluid in it so I can drive it already. I've had the car for 2 months and really haven't driven it yet. Startin' to get anxious.

I understand. The Duster I've got sat on a lift in my shop for over a month after I got it while I rebuilt all the suspension on it. It sucked

Damn, I haven't driven mine and it's going on 3 years.

I gave up on those boots, cause I couldn't slide them on (with the bar in the car) using one hand to hold the bar and the other to work the boot. Maybe if you put the boot on the bar first, then before reinstalling the lower control arm, install the bar from the front side of the crossmember.....

Yup thats the way put the boots on first and slide the bars in from the front.. that the way I did mine yesterday with no problem at all.:)

It was a lot easier just getting the other "correct" style boots. But now I do have a set of energy suspension boots for sell if anybody wants them.

3 months ago I drove my 73 Charger around the block for the first time sense 1992. But Friday the A/C gets charged, front end lined up and its back on the road. I split the PST seals, installed them then I closed them up with 3M black weather stripping cement. I put a hose clamp around them till the cement set up. But I'll never use them again there not worth it. My 69 Charger goes in the back shop next for new suspenion. By the time its done my 07 Charger R/T will be worn out or I'll be dead. LMAO

lol, this thread is hilarious. Well maybe because i spent the last two hours trying to install them lovely dust boots. I managed to get the passenger side one one last fall. Dont ask me how, i remember its sucked bad.. Well i was going to go ahead and due the drives side one this afternoon... Um i tried the socket idea, which is funny cause i seen some say that in this thread. It doesn't work. Heat... I got out the propane and lightly burnt the out side. Thats a negative. When i was cleaning up after a grand defeat, i was reflecting on the kind words spoken to the part, car, and its mother... And i had a thought. Maybe boil it in water. Has any one ever used a mouth gaurd? I figured its kinda the same material. So maybe tomorow i'll give it a wirl. I'll let you guys know how it went.

Heat them up by soaking in almost boiling water for a few minutes. They'll slip right on.

I just installed a set of those pieces of junk. As I had finished up the assembly of the rest of the front suspension, I was not going to disassemble most everything in order to install the bars from the front, so my final solution to the impossibility of under car installation (and I am certainly not a weak man), was to offer up a challenge to my sons friends that were over at the house (all in their 20's)

A simple "who here thinks there not a wimp" challenge was sufficient to have them clamoring to try. the third guy was able to force them on.

It just goes to prove the adage that "old age and treachery, will overcome youth and exuberance, every time".

It doesn't make the fact that the pieces are poorly designed any less ridiculous, but nearly $50.00 for the stockers is just as ridiculous.

I hope they redesign them in the future, but they are useless as they are now offered.

Hey guys, I have a couple newbie questions for ya. First, I am rebuilding the front end (first time and most everything has gone smooth so far) I have the P S T kit but I ordered torsion bar dust boots from Energy Suspension. My problem is I can't get the dang boots over the torsion bar. Does anybody have any tips to get these over? I already tried slopping grease on them but that didn't work. I'm thinking about heating them up so they are more pliable. I'm for sure I have the right ones for my app. (p/n 5.13101).
The second question and I'm sure this might make me sound dumb but are the tie rod ends interchangeable? I can't tell a differance in the PST inner and outer tierods except for one of them seems just a little bit thicker than the other. Thanks for any of the help. Some day I'll be as knowledgeable as all of you.

I think yes the rod ends are interchangeable. My friend just told me that before. :D

Tie rod info: left handed threads on the inside,(remember "left in") right handed thread outside, leave about 1/4" thread showing on both sides.
(left is counter clockwise)

torsion bar dust boots: use some "muscle", shouldn't take you more than :30 per side!,
I've installed 100's!, just get one corner on the torsion bar through,and pull like crazy and twist at the same time, don't be afraid to use force,you can use a dab of grease,I've NEVER had to heat them up,I know it seems impossible but they will go on with enough force.

anybody need any suspension/disc brake swap or any Instrument cluster/tach info please feel free to contact me.

Auto Transport Service
Back