• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Torsion bar hex keys rubbing?

Beekeeper

It’s a disease without a cure!
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:53 PM
Reaction score
I was under the bee yesterday working on pulling my steering gear and noticed the ends of the torsion key adjusters are rubbing the inside of the frame rails where the clearance notch for them is. Anyone have an idea why? The suspension as far as I can tell has never been rebuilt it's a 69
bee with a 440 installed and also the adjusting bolts seem like they are
run way up. There is about 1/2" to 3/4" thread left exposed. I know some are gonna want pics I will see if I can get some.

First two are left side and other two are right side. The right side isn't adjusted up as much and isn't rubbing as bad but is still making contact.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

One left side pic didn't upload so here it is

image.jpeg

I don't see any rubbing. They look fine to me.

Trust me when I say they are rubbing. The last pic I posted shows it. As stated the right side isn't as bad as
the left but is making contact

The above pics are with the front jacked up with suspension unloaded

Yea the bumpers are there do the hex keys look too high?

If the front end hasn't been rebuilt, you'd be wasting time trying to fix this. Start with a fresh rebuild,and some new torsion bars. I know it's a pain, but it's your safety at risk.

Check your lower control arm bushings they may be completely fubared and in extream need of replacement and while your replacing em check the tube the pin goes through the Kmember to make sure the welds have not let go. (tho that seems to be more of an issue with ABodys)

I would say those torsion bars are spent, with that much left on the threads, there's not much spring left in those.

yea torsion bars were my first thought. I plan to do a complete rebuild on the front suspension

I would say those torsion bars are spent, with that much left on the threads, there's not much spring left in those.
Have never seen a spent torsion bar that had not broke. Someone thought it could be welded on or cooked with a torch. They look like one piece of steel but they do not start life that way. Take many small strands of high carbon steel and twist together under high pressure and heat. They do not loose tension without breaking.

I don't know, the originals I took of my RR were pretty well gone, I had the adjusters way up, and they were warped when I removed them, so maybe they were getting ready to let go completely!

Dumb question perhaps - do torsion bars wear out? As important are they more apt to wear out when in a raised position? I have the originals on my 68 as well and they've been raised the whole time - although the car was stored for the last 35 years.

Thanks to everyone who repiled this is a good discussion.

Are you sure they are the original torsion bars and someone didn't substitute some 6 cyl bars to help with weight transfer at the drags? When I pulled the front suspension on my 67 GTX a few months ago, after pulling the rubber travel bumpers and letting the suspension droop, from memory I don't even think my adjusters were still in contact with the a-arm lever. If I'm wrong and they were it didn't take much to back them off.

They could be slant bars I will measure them. What dia. are slant six bars?

Auto Transport Service
Back