• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

torsion bar

project62

Local time
12:00 PM
Reaction score
Bought new clips, seals and dust boots for the torsion bars. Have a pretty good idea of how the clips and seal go on, have no clue where dust boots go. Any diagrams, videos or pictures would be helpful. Thanks

Torsion Bar Boot.JPG
The dust boots go around the torsion bars on the front side of the cross member.

Last edited:
Ok maybe I don't know how seal goes in or do i. Tell me if I'm wrong. Slide seal over torsion bar, slide torsion bar through back side of cross member, slide dust boot over torsion bar. Once torsion bar is all the way through put clip in to keep torsion bar from sliding out. Or are both the dust boot?

20160704_090048-1.jpg

Ok maybe I don't know how seal goes in or do i. Tell me if I'm wrong. Slide seal over torsion bar, slide torsion bar through back side of cross member, slide dust boot over torsion bar. Once torsion bar is all the way through put clip in to keep torsion bar from sliding out. Or are both the dust boot?

View attachment 347048
Your kit came with poly bushings for the lower control arms. The "How to" Pops added does not show how to replace the lower control arm bushings but it does show it in step 6.

Your kit came with poly bushings for the lower control arms. The "How to" Pops added does not show how to replace the lower control arm bushings but it does show it in step 6.
The lower control arm bushings are already pressed into the lower control arm. Had that done a few weeks ago. The picture is dust boot covers and clip and seal kit for the torsion bars. I know where dust boot goes now, thought I knew where the seal went, but now I'm not sure.

Ok. I understand now. Thanks everyone for your input.

No one's mentioned yet how much "fun" it is installing the boots.

Best thing I could come up with is forcing them over increasingly larger sockets until they were stretched enough to go over the bar end.

Put those poly boots in a bowl of water and microwave for a couple of minutes, or until the water is good and hot. Make sure the bars are lubed well before hand, I just used bearing grease. While they are still hot, slide them down the bar. This really makes the installation quite easy.

Put those poly boots in a bowl of water and microwave for a couple of minutes, or until the water is good and hot. Make sure the bars are lubed well before hand, I just used bearing grease. While they are still hot, slide them down the bar. This really makes the installation quite easy.
Never would have thought that. Good idea.

I did a similar approach, except after warming them up, I cut the end off a cheap funnel to the diameter of the hex on the torsion bar, greased the crap out of the boots and bar, and tip of funnel sitting on the hex end and they slipped right on.

I did a similar approach, except after warming them up, I cut the end off a cheap funnel to the diameter of the hex on the torsion bar, greased the crap out of the boots and bar, and tip of funnel sitting on the hex end and they slipped right on.

My approach for installing these torsion bar seals was very similar on my 65 Coronet but only after buying 3 boxes of the seals, ProForged # 114-10009 available by order from Oreilly"s.
The funnel type is critical, if there is a "step" up in size of the funnel as it gets larger the seal will split at this step up. The funnel must be a continual gradual increase in size as the seal passes over the funnel. The funnel I finally found ($2.89) at NAPA is FloTool #05034MI made by Hopkins Mfg. (USA made). I cut this funnel at exactly 8.5" then placed it over the square end, heated the seal to boiling, greased the heck out of the funnel then quickly slid it down.
Dave3349-1965 Coronet 500

Auto Transport Service
Back