• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tranny Questions

RT Dreamin

Local time
12:40 PM
Reaction score
Looking for help and education here… the tranny in my Charger has a number stamped on it that I can’t find in the list I have. I believe it is an early 70’s vintage tranny. My questions are: the numbers stamped are PK3515868 3986 0675. The only source I have for tranny numbers does not list the 3515868 but judging by the “3” I am presuming 70’s. And, if my 10,000 day calendar source is correct it was built on 6/26/72. Am I correct? How can I tell if it is an A727 or something else? Also, my fender tag says the tranny should have been a D32 tranny (heavy duty), is that the same thing as the A727? If not which is better? My car is a 69 R/T and I want to go back to an era correct tranny but also want to know if there is a difference between a “heavy duty” and an A727, which is better if they are different and how to tell which it is.

PS- the right side of the tranny has these numbers stamped: 2C314824, what are these numbers? the VIN of the original car?

Last edited:
1972 c-body 440 except HP. Yes that’s the last 8 of vin of the car.

this is a great trans, you should use it. Part throttle kickdown valve body and a wide bushing on the front clutch drum.

Like R413 says, it is a good one to start with. I crossed yours over to the next year and if not much changed, yours should have had these parts inside it when new (I suspect).
Long accumulator spring, 3.8 servo lever, standard KD servo with a long inner and green outer spring, the governor may have had a green spring with standard weights in and out. It likely had 3 pinion front and 4 pinion rear planet carriers, and the front clutch retainer had 9 springs and 3 friction discs.
Pretty standard 440 stuff in these years.
Tom Hand

Whew !! ..... for a moment, I thought this may be about something other than a transmission.........

...I've got a video of that ....
Vkhh.gif

Auto Transport Service
Back