• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trans in neutral, tires turn?????

5.7 hemi

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
2:05 PM
Reaction score
Got my car fired up with the trans hooked up finally. My buddy noticed the drums turning, and I was able to put my hand on it and they stopped. Called my grandpa, was a chrysler mechanic for 30+ years, and he said that is normal if the trans is tight, but if the weight of the car was on the tires it would not move. Anyone ever heard of this? Hell, I had to make sure the trans was in neutral and not in gear. Being a 545rfe trans, the neutral safety switch is in the computer, so it wont start unless in park or neutral. I have never seen something like this.

It's the clutch packs that are dragging a little, it will get the tires spinning but unto no force that you shouldn't be able to stop them easy or make the car move forward.

if its a fresh overhaul/rebuild then that is totally normal. do not worry about it.

It did it again tonight and was able to stop it with my hand. Seem everyone that I talk to says its normal, and I was told the eng/trans had less than 17000 miles on them, maybe they meant 1700.

Well I'm not worried anymore. Now I just have to get the shifter to match the trans and then I'll be set. It's almost a two person job, but I'm sure a few more hours of on the floor, in the car, on the floor, in the car will eventually get it right.

Auto Transport Service
Back