• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

transmission fluid

alexis

Local time
3:29 AM
Reaction score
I plan on getting my 1977 Cordoba serviced in the spring before I drive it.Having the spark plugs,plug wires,distribitor cap and rotor replaced including an oil change done.Having the transmission fluid and filter changed done also,it is about due.What transmission fluid does it take?My dad is going to do it since he has a hoist at home and I am buying the parts.He said to buy the Champion spark plugs for it already.

dexron III.your dad is correct,champion is the factory style plug.

My dad is good with the Chrysler products,run the OEM spark plugs only.He said the spark plugs are due for a change also.Removed one of the spark plugs and the tip of the electrode is a little bit worn.

I've always ran nothing but Type F, it's an old shift trick (B&M shift kits call for B&M fluid or Type F).

i have always used both ATF+4 and type F in all my 727 and 904's. I don't even mess with dex III. I don't use champion plugs in anything ever.

I found an old 1977 Chrysler service video on you tube and said use Mopar approved Dextron

I found an old 1977 Chrysler service video on you tube and said use Mopar approved Dextron

that was 37 years ago. fluid technology and refinement have advanced substantially since then. all im saying is that I personally wont use dex III . I prefer to use other fluids.

Right and that's the old stuff. The +4 will more than do the job that the old Dextron did plus it's synthetic and will take much more heat than the Dex ever thought about and still protect. As for plugs, I've have good results from Champions unless the engine wasn't in good health. On the +4 fluid...ChinaMart I mean WalMart is usually the cheapest place to buy it but they don't always carry it in bulk like an auto parts store will. I just buy all that's on the shelf whenever I go in. I just did my 97 diesel and the 2000 Durango is due next. If I had an old car that was automatic, it would go into it too but I don't think I'm going to use ATF in a stick car that's going to be abused. Did you know ATF was (is?) used in some light duty standards going back into the mid 70's?

Had Rick Allison from A&A transmission build my race tranny. It is behind a 540 with Indy cnc heads and runs 9.80s. Any how I asked Rick "what fluid should I run in this 4500 buck tranny?". He told me to run dextron lll. I asked him "what brand?"He said any brand that is S.A.E. rated. So I went to the farm store and picked up some from there. I get it in 2 gallon containers for 20 some bucks. This is my 6th year running it off the trans brake. I leave at 5000 rpm. I have a dynamic converter, and change my fluid and filter every 100 runs. I use the same tractor/ farm store stuff in my street cars. If it's good enough for an Allison in Indianapolis, Indana it will work for me.

I am a Type F user as well....firms up the shifts and have never had an issue with it

Auto Transport Service
Back