• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A727 Transmission Issue

boboh1

Local time
7:38 AM
Reaction score
Just got a 1969 Superbee and went to change the transmission fluid/filter. At the bottom of the pan I saw little plastic parts then noticed part of the plastic piece that presses against the NSS broken off. Can this part be replaced and should I even bother if still presses how it should? IMG_2750.jpegIMG_2751.jpeg

Rooster comb. You've got the pan off, fix it right. Post a WTB in the classifieds, someone will bail you out.

Yeah, it's not that big a job to drop the valve body at this point.

Thanks. I went to A&A and ordered that rooster thing. I assume the plastic section comes with it. I never went any further with a transmission before. Not sure how to replace this part.

You have to take off the shift and kickdown levers with 7/16" wrench and a screwdriver. When you drop the valve body, there is going to be more fluid coming out. Just let the valve body hang by the park rod until everything drains. You will have to wiggle and pull the park rod to disengage it from the park assembly. Once you have the VB out on your bench, there is a "c" clip to pop off on the kick down shaft. There is a detent ball and spring at the rooster comb. As you slide the kick down shaft out of the shifter comb, make sure you catch these little pieces. Now you can lift the comb assembly out and unbolt the park rod. A shop manual, TorqueFlight rebuild book, or even a shift kit instruction sheet would be a great help here. The biggest problems will be getting the detent ball and spring back in place, while aligning shifter comb and kick down shaft back in place on the VB. This is usually about a 3 hand job. Some times the park rod can be hard to drop back in place. Just keep wiggling and stabbing back into the park mechanism.

Last edited:
You have to take off the shift and kickdown levers with 5/16" wrench and a screwdriver. When you drop the valve body, there is going to be more fluid coming out. Just let the valve body hang by the park rod until everything drains. You will have to wiggle and pull the park rod to disengage it from the park assembly. Once you have the VB out on your bench, there is a "c" clip to pop off on the kick down shaft. There is a detent ball and spring at the rooster comb. As you slide the kick down shaft out of the shifter comb, make sure you catch these little pieces. Now you can lift the comb assembly out and unbolt the park rod. A shop manual, TorqueFlight rebuild book, or even a shift kit instruction sheet would be a great help here. The biggest problems will be getting the detent ball and spring back in place, while aligning shifter comb and kick down shaft back in place on the VB. This is usually about a 3 hand job. Some times the park rod can be hard to drop back in place. Just keep wiggling and stabbing back into the park mechanism. Use a Phillips end screwdriver (#3 works well. Insert it into the area the park rod installs in) to ensure the park paul is engaging a notch in the governor support so you're not fighting the spring too much. You may have to rotate the driveshaft to line up the mechanism.
Mike

I appreciate all the help but after reading what to do I’m afraid my confidence and skill levels are too low for this. I may have to hire a guy who knows what he is doing to come out to the house to make the repair.
A&A said the picture is a rooster comb from 69.5-70 transmission. The car is late 1968 production so I guess the transmission may have been added at a later date.

Auto Transport Service
Back