• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Transmission Options for 5.7 swap

518 is the only way to go. You just grind a couple ribs off the tail end no floor pan mods and can be controlled by Holley or you can build your own harness the information is out there

518 is the only way to go. You just grind a couple ribs off the tail end no floor pan mods and can be controlled by Holley or you can build your own harness the information is out there
I am late replying to this thread as I wanted to speak to my neighbor first. He swapped a Gen III Hemi into his '74 Challenger years ago, before any kits were available. He even fabbed his own intake manifold for a carburetor. As I thought, he used a 518. He told me he uses a toggle switch to engage the OD and lockup on demand. He also indicated no floor pan modification needed with the exception of clearancing the cross member stiffener in the trans tunnel. I can attest to the functionality and reliability of his swap. He drives this car almost daily (except in our snowy winter months).

I am late replying to this thread as I wanted to speak to my neighbor first. He swapped a Gen III Hemi into his '74 Challenger years ago, before any kits were available. He even fabbed his own intake manifold for a carburetor. As I thought, he used a 518. He told me he uses a toggle switch to engage the OD and lockup on demand. He also indicated no floor pan modification needed with the exception of clearancing the cross member stiffener in the trans tunnel. I can attest to the functionality and reliability of his swap. He drives this car almost daily (except in our snowy winter months).
So I'd be going from 3sp to 4sp w/OD? I guess what I was asking was if I get an engine and trans together, can I just put both in without major modifications.

Without transmission tunnel mods yes. Still have to make driveshaft, transmission mount not sure about cooler lines but I’d but there close enough to work. There maybe a an additional shim in the flex plate, converter area. I know the bellhousing pattern is the same there maybe a crank length difference. I entertained the very same trans for my coronet. I’ll have to do an ultra bell for the 383 big bell housing.

So I'd be going from 3sp to 4sp w/OD? I guess what I was asking was if I get an engine and trans together, can I just put both in without major modifications.
If you get a hemi with the nag1 5spd or hpxx 8spd you need both tunnel fab and controllers.

If you buy a 518/47rh you may need to do some trimming and you need the special flex plate and some pressure switches to wire up control of OD.

Any re trans is going to require a controller.

Then there are all the gm based kits already discussed.

All require new driveshaft.

If you get a hemi with the nag1 5spd or hpxx 8spd you need both tunnel fab and controllers.

If you buy a 518/47rh you may need to do some trimming and you need the special flex plate and some pressure switches to wire up control of OD.

Any re trans is going to require a controller.

Then there are all the gm based kits already discussed.

All require new driveshaft.
I was expecting to have to do the driveshaft. Just wanted to make of what would be needed to keep the trans the engine is hooked to already. Im looking at the ones that come with electronics (harness, pcm, ecm, etc.). I was assuming I could use those electronics. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I was expecting to have to do the driveshaft. Just wanted to make of what would be needed to keep the trans the engine is hooked to already. Im looking at the ones that come with electronics (harness, pcm, ecm, etc.). I was assuming I could use those electronics. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Unfortunately you can't without getting the body computer and all inputs working. There's an old thread on here from a former member Darius that chronicles his roadrunner build. He ended up scrapping all OEM wiring and computer for trans

Someone listed a kit for the GM trans from a vendor, but the vendor cleverly labeled it as a generic proprietary name instead of 4l60e conversion and they claimed no trans tunnel modification in a B body. I just looked and I did not save the link.
Silver Sport Transmission uses the A41 modified 4l60e.

The floor pans in E bodies are different than the 62-70 B body....just enough to require some modifications to fit a 518.

I have a Gen3 Hemi (5.7) and the 5 speed auto (NAG1) in my 68 Charger.
Do yourself a favor and contact Sound German Automotive (Sound German Automotive) and just buy his kit. It definitely save you alot of time and hassle.
I had to slightly modify my tunnel and I also had to purchase the Holley BlackHeart adapters to mount the transmission into my car. It took a little persuasion but did eventually fit.
I also had a custom driveshaft made.
You will need to ensure you use the factory shifter out of the donor car and you'll have to fab it to fit, but it's possible.
On the plus side, my car shifts just like it was new (in 2006 Dodge Charger speak) and has averaged over 20 miles per gallon! I love this upgrade on both the engine and the transmission.
Good luck!
Ryan

Link to my build/swap with pics - Just found this Hemi swap forum - My Hemi Swap 68

What about a a833 with the od ?

What about a a833 with the od ?
Just remember 727 or 500/518 require kickdown cable,which will require some type of modified pedal or something to work with drive by wire .

A8 ZF TorqFlite is the best. Just requires a hole the size of the Grand Canyon when gutting the Coronet. I like the SST Tremec 5 in the Coronet.

Just remember 727 or 500/518 require kickdown cable,which will require some type of modified pedal or something to work with drive by wire .
The a833 is manual nothing to mod but the pedals

Or a manual valve body depending on your plans for the car

I have a Gen3 Hemi (5.7) and the 5 speed auto (NAG1) in my 68 Charger.
Do yourself a favor and contact Sound German Automotive (Sound German Automotive) and just buy his kit. It definitely save you alot of time and hassle.
I had to slightly modify my tunnel and I also had to purchase the Holley BlackHeart adapters to mount the transmission into my car. It took a little persuasion but did eventually fit.
I also had a custom driveshaft made.
You will need to ensure you use the factory shifter out of the donor car and you'll have to fab it to fit, but it's possible.
On the plus side, my car shifts just like it was new (in 2006 Dodge Charger speak) and has averaged over 20 miles per gallon! I love this upgrade on both the engine and the transmission.
Good luck!
Ryan

Link to my build/swap with pics - Just found this Hemi swap forum - My Hemi Swap 68
This seems to be exactly what im looking to do. Just a reminder to everyone, I have a sedan with 3 on the tree. Id rather not have to move my shifter to the floor as I like my bench and have plans for the area under the dash.

Late here to the this thread. Something I wanted to add here but, on the very early 2003 5.7L Hemi Rams with the 545rfe has a separate computer (TCM) for the transmission. In 2004, they integrated the TCM with the PCM. I've read the HP Tuner won't tune the TCM nor even the later 2004-2007 trucks. I think the earliest they can program is 2008 or 2009MY with the 545rfe but, if running a Pre-Eagle Hemi it might be an idea to consider.

Now, I'm not sure if a TCM from an earlier 2001-2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee or Dakota would work if running a very early 2003-2004. I know the guys with an earlier 4.7 Dakota or Grand Cherokee that just has the 45rfe uses the TCM from the later models to get the extra gear (5th) hence 545rfe vs 45rfe. I believe the Holley setup allows for maybe extra editing but, can't confirm.

Auto Transport Service
Back