• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tri power carbs on 440 six barrel?

So in summary, the tri power carbs:
-Are smaller cfm than Mopars but work
-they will bolt to a Mopar intake?
-the mopar oval air cleaner will bolt to them?
I’m only checking because these new carbs are 1/2 the price of the used vacuum Holleys for Mopar.

Really Bob? Rochester carbs are like Carter/Edelbrock carbs and the fuel level is below the gasket surfaces. There is not a Holley on the planet that is reusable without a overhaul after a few years. Like I said, I have a couple friends that have AAR and 440 6 pack cars that have carb issues every year. I have started 10 year old Rochesters and Carter/Edelbrock's without so much as a fuel leak. It's all in the design.
30 years since I bought my Bird, starts everytime and even goes the distance at Atlanta. I've never touched the carb and it sat for over 10 years without starting at all! I've had three holleys + a rebuild on the Bee in the same time period.

IMO...
Brief answers..
#1 No if smaller, engine will not perform as designed. Mopar 6 barrel carbs flow 1355 CFM @ wide open
#2 No Rochester types have different physical dimensions
#3 Not likely because of the physical dimension differences
Others will have their own opinions and preferences and ideas.
BOB RENTON

I’m only checking because these new carbs are 1/2 the price of the used vacuum Holleys for Mopar.

Its your car and how you fit it is totally up to you. If you truely want to have a tri-power (not a six bsrrel or six pack) equipped car, as you originally noted, perhaps you may want to consider a GTO. If cost is the determinating factor, trying to retrofit Rochester type carbs will likely out way the cost of purchasing a Mopar set up, but only you can make that determination....but if you have unlimited $$$$$, have at it.
BOB RENTON

IMO...
Brief answers..
#1 No if smaller, engine will not perform as designed. Mopar 6 barrel carbs flow 1355 CFM @ wide open
#2 No Rochester types have different physical dimensions
#3 Not likely because of the physical dimension differences
Others will have their own opinions and preferences and ideas.
BOB RENTON

Actually if you compare them to the meathead four barrels are rated, the cfm of the six barrel is somewhere around 950 cfm.

Actually if you compare them to the meathead four barrels are rated, the cfm of the six barrel is somewhere around 950 cfm.

Are both types of carbs "meathead type" (?? never heard of that description B4) and the 3x2bbl Holley design both measured under identical conditions, particularly air density and pressure drop, and temperature? Was it the SAE OR ASTM testing methology being used? Wouldn't the 3x2bbl configuration have greater flow capacity due to more throttle plate/venturii area? Unless the "meathead" 4bbl you refer to is a Holley 3bbl, yes 3 bbl, (which was rated at 950 CFM and 1050 CFM), which were Holley numbers. Manufacturers tend to use the biggest/larger number lending credence to the term "bigger is better".....but that term can also be applied to other things as well.....
BOB RENTON

There is something of a semantics problem here. Some consider a "tripower" to be what was found on pontiacs, oldsmobiles, 348 chevys, (and others), three two barrel Rochesters. Others refer to the three Holley two barrel setups as "six packs" whether on Ford 406, 340 mopar, 440 mopar, or 427 chevy. Some a12 roadrunner guys get bent out of shape when someone calls their setup a "six pack" insisting it's a "6bbl". (I'm not one of those).
My answers to Sonnys questions are...
No, the corvette carbs are NOT significantly smaller than the mopar carbs Holley says the end carbs are 466 cfm, the center 350. Also anybody that thinks the mopar sixpack flows 1350 is delusional. Rated by the same method as a normal 4bbl holley, they flow right around 1000cfm, IF (and that's a big IF) the secondary are working properly.
Next, the corvette Holleys and the Ford Holleys are 2300 two barrels, just like the mopars, and have the same air cleaner flange and mounting bolt pattern. Any brand of 2300 Holley will bolt to a mopar manifold.
That means the sixpack air cleaner should work.
One word of caution : Holley makes a high performance two barrel, primarily used in hobby stock roundy-round racing that has a four barrel air cleaner flange. Make sure you don't get that one.

Come on Bob, your being willfully obtuse. Method is misspelled. So what?
Edit: oops, I just used the wrong form of your/you're. I guess my opinion is worthless.

Are both types of carbs "meathead type" (?? never heard of that description B4) and the 3x2bbl Holley design both measured under identical conditions, particularly air density and pressure drop, and temperature? Was it the SAE OR ASTM testing methology being used? Wouldn't the 3x2bbl configuration have greater flow capacity due to more throttle plate/venturii area? Unless the "meathead" 4bbl you refer to is a Holley 3bbl, yes 3 bbl, (which was rated at 950 CFM and 1050 CFM), which were Holley numbers. Manufacturers tend to use the biggest/larger number lending credence to the term "bigger is better".....but that term can also be applied to other things as well.....
BOB RENTON
No, the two barrels where tested at higher vacuum than four barrels.
I'll see if I can dig up the info on how Holley tested, honestly thought you would have known this.
And quit being a Dick Bob

You need the DC holleys, they actually flow more cfm than the chrysler vacuum carbs! I also run one of those forsaken roundy round 2 barrels for a center carb. Apparently it works like **** from what I’ve read.
7C88FFEE-A638-4763-BCC9-2CD3EB263CD3.jpeg

@Sonny
NOT significantly smaller, Holley says only 34 cfm less per end carb
Yes they bolt on
Yes ,the air cleaner will work. The vette carbs have the same mounting pattern and air cleaner flange.

There is something of a semantics problem here. Some consider a "tripower" to be what was found on pontiacs, oldsmobiles, 348 chevys, (and others), three two barrel Rochesters. Others refer to the three Holley two barrel setups as "six packs" whether on Ford 406, 340 mopar, 440 mopar, or 427 chevy. Some a12 roadrunner guys get bent out of shape when someone calls their setup a "six pack" insisting it's a "6bbl". (I'm not one of those).
My answers to Sonnys questions are...
No, the corvette carbs are NOT significantly smaller than the mopar carbs Holley says the end carbs are 466 cfm, the center 350. Also anybody that thinks the mopar sixpack flows 1350 is delusional. Rated by the same method as a normal 4bbl holley, they flow right around 1000cfm, IF (and that's a big IF) the secondary are working properly.
Next, the corvette Holleys and the Ford Holleys are 2300 two barrels, just like the mopars, and have the same air cleaner flange and mounting bolt pattern. Any brand of 2300 Holley will bolt to a mopar manifold.
That means the sixpack air cleaner should work.
One word of caution : Holley makes a high performance two barrel, primarily used in hobby stock roundy-round racing that has a four barrel air cleaner flange. Make sure you don't get that one.

I agree....semantics appear to be in dispute....I believe the origional question pertained to a "tri-power" configuration which would be, as you noted, for GM. It was not clear that the OP was refering to the Corvette arrangement or the other tri-power configurations. He just seemed to be cost driven. I just interjected the Ford setup as an additional arrangement that was used. True, the Mopar, GM Corvette and Ford used 2300 series Holleys and should interchange except for the fuel piping and linkage. One would have to be cautious as to the throttle plate dimensions in relation to the manifold bore.
Are the Holley 2300 series 2bbl and 4150/4160 series 4bbl carbs tested at the same flow condition? Like wise are Rochester types tested at the same conditions? The Rochester types, as noted previously, are totally different physically but if the OP had unlimited $$$$$, then why not try....
BOB RENTON

No Bob, two barrels and four barrels are rated at different depressions. Don't quote me, but two bbls at 3", four bbls at 1.5"

@Sonny , if you are thinking of using three of those 80683 carbs, i dont think that will work. The mopar sixpack manifold is spaced for a middle carb with a metering block, and end carbs with a metering PLATE. The front carb would fit but the rear will not have enough room, because of the added thickness of the metering block . I think the ford carbs, and the aftermarket mopar carbs that were mechanical secondary used metering plates too. The corvette carbs were vacuum secondary.

Last edited:
@Sonny , if you are thinking of using three of those 80683 carbs, i dont think that will work. The mopar sixpack manifold is spaced for a middle carb with a metering block, and end carbs with a metering PLATE. The front carb would fit but the rear will not have enough room, because of the added thickness of the metering block . I think the ford carbs, and the aftermarket mopar carbs that were mechanical secondary used metering plates too. The corvette carbs were vacuum secondary.
I see that now. Thanks for the heads up!

You need the DC holleys, they actually flow more cfm than the chrysler vacuum carbs! I also run one of those forsaken roundy round 2 barrels for a center carb. Apparently it works like **** from what I’ve read.
View attachment 930534
It appears all 3 of your carbs have metering blocks. Mopars have metering plates on out boards only. There’s not enough room for a metering block on the rear carb. How did you handle this?
Sonny

Auto Transport Service
Back