• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trim removal

gearhead1969

Local time
9:29 AM
Reaction score
I need advice on removing these pieces without damaging anything.getting ready to rip the paint off.

IMG_20240517_193750.jpg

Fun times coming your way! They both bolt on from inside the car.

Remove rear seat
remove rear door panels
Remove metal upper panels
Remove package tray
Remove headliner from pillars. (Be very careful you don't tear it)
Remove cardboard panels from pillars.

Remove the "teeth" that secure the headliner. This is not screwed on it is crimped in,place, so I don't know how to remove and attach again other than screw it on (Or plan B is to drill a hole in the teeth panel to access the rearward nut for the trim)

Last edited:
Fun times.
Remove rear seat
remove rear door panels
Remove metal upper panels
Remove package tray
Remove headliner from pillars. (Be very careful you don't tear it)
Remove cardboard panels from pillars.
are they bolted in from behind?

Be very careful in case the pot metal studs are corroded. Possibly try tightening the nut slightly to break any corrosion if there. Then loosen it. Delicacy is the key word.

Photos. The chrome is pot metal, it's soft. The nut is plated and water does not sit anywhere near there, so it will come off just fine. DO NOT tighten the nut first. Use a 6 point socket with some putty in it so it will retain the nut, or else it will drop inside the quarter panel.

Here is a photo. Read the notes.
The small emblem will have the nut out it the open.

4219AF9F-A743-45D0-AF61-012945A6C7B3.jpeg

Photos. The chrome is pot metal, it's soft. The nut is plated and water does not sit anywhere near there, so it will come off just fine. DO NOT tighten the nut first. Use a 6 point socket with some putty in it so it will retain the nut, or else it will drop inside the quarter panel.

Here is a photo. Read the notes.
The small emblem will have the nut out it the open.

View attachment 1664620
good advice, thanks

I was talking about a fraction of an inch. My experience was with a car that had come from I think possibly Michigan. This was probably 30 years ago. Anything in our area is usually easy to take apart.

If I remember ,those headliner strips are held in place by clips that rotate 90 degrees. Once each clip is turned it will release that strip.

I was just wondering where the rear nut was and how to access it. Unfortunately, the front stud is already missing, so I'll have to get creative when reattaching.

Auto Transport Service
Back