• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 Charger SE 440 car trunk lid chrome trim removal?

Kobrak

Local time
3:25 AM
Reaction score
So enclosed are a few pictures of the chrome trim on the back lip of the trunk lid. How do I get this thing off without damaging it? Hit it with a bunch of heat? I've tried to slide a razor blade long the edge to loosen it up, but it is not budging at all. Any tips are appreciated! Thanks, Kraig

20240224_175512[1].jpg

20240224_175514[1].jpg

20240224_175523[1].jpg

Where the two screws in place for the tabs ?

That’s all that holds it on , two tabs two screws

I wonder if someone used an Clear Adhesive or RTV inside the channel to keep it in place

And , if that’s the case #@#@

There were two screws in place that I removed. Darn thing is stucka

Do you think it’s possibly rusted , the trunk lid itself rusted expanding keeping the stainless steel channel molding in place

I just cleaned the inside of that very molding with multiple SOS Pads removing all the rust from a trunk lid
Now working on polish the best I can

I have another really nice molding but one of the spot welds came loose so the tab came off , trying a two part weld or epoxy

Or like mentioned , Adhesive or RTV keeping it in place

Then

Heat Gun wearing Gloves

Bee1971, no rust at all, I'm looking at it closer this morning and although I don't see any adhesive I'm going to bring out the heat gun and give it a go.

Auto Transport Service
Back