• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trouble plugging harness to cluster

expresso

Local time
4:41 PM
Reaction score
I am having trouble plugging a new under dash wiring harness to the instrument cluster in a 68 GTX. I’ve heard that the pins break off fairly easily so I don’t want to push too hard. Is there a trick to plugging it?

A little dielectric grease might lube it up a bit. Plus, you should put that on any electrical connection anyway. Then, wiggle it on... side-to-side...little-by-little.

Look real close at the pins and make sure you do not have one already slightly bent. Then as said above a little lube help.

Look real close at the pins and make sure you do not have one already slightly bent. Then as said above a little lube help.
Thanks for the replies. Even with the grease I was not able to work it on. I removed the circuit board from the gauge cluster and backed it up with a block and then tapped the connector on. I’m pretty sure I did not damage any pins or the board. It was just a bit more work. I have the dash out of the car. It would have been very difficult to do if it was in the car

Auto Transport Service
Back