• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Troubleshooting a noise

patrick66

Local time
10:32 AM
Reaction score
This is on my 2001 Ram 1500...yeah, it's a truck question, but so many of the Dodge truck forums are either on life-support or just plain dead.

I was driving across town at 70 mph. Truck running great! Did what I went to do, then headed over to a friend's car lot on the way home. The truck sat for about 30 minutes. I went to leave, and heard a horrible noise as I made the corner to turn right. It kept squawling and hollering from the right front of the truck, but stopped when the truck was sitting still. I figured it was the right front wheel bearing, but it didn't go away when I turned one direction or the other. Same intensity and volume. It sounded faster as I increased speed, and again stopped when I was at a light or stop sign. This of course, ruled out engine or transmission problems. I kept the speed under 40 as I drove home on side streets; no changes.

I ordered a new hub and bearing combo, as the wheel bearings on this are not serviceable or available as an individual part. The old right front hub was indeed a little loose. I pulled the old one off, verified the spindle wasn't trashed or damaged, replaced with a new Chinesium hub and bearing, and went ahead and replaced the disc pads on both sides; as they were at maybe 25%. Time for the road test...NO change! WTF?

The truck is back in my garage. Here is my theory - the tire itself is bad, and causing the noises. I can't see evidence of broken belts or tread separation. The set of tires has maybe 2,500 miles on them, and show normal wear on all four. I have a very good mounted spare wheel and tire (apart from the truck's spare) that I'm going to install today in place of the right front that I have concerns with, and see if the noise vanishes...which would confirm a bad/defective tire. That, or switch the RF and RR wheel/tires around to see if the noise is still present, and if it switched from front to rear.

My ball joints (upper/lower) are new on both sides. Nothing in the suspension is loose. I lubed up what few fittings are under the Ram. Everything looks good.

NOTE: The truck is a Ram 1500 w/5.9L automatic 4x2, and dead-stock all around with 202K on it. Other than what I've described, have any of you got an idea where this noise is coming from?

Last edited:
Did you check the rear brakes? Pad wear scraper, rock stuck between rotor and pads, even check the emergency brake as a rock can get into there.

I'll jack up the truck from the rear and stick a couple of jackstands under it, put the truck in gear and see if the noise is present at that point. Hadn't really thought about the rear, but it makes sense since the noise does not abate in a turn one direction or the other.

2wd or 4wd? Look at the stone shield real close. Sometimes they crack or bend and barely contact the rotor.
Doug

We replaced the RF hub assembly Wednesday night. The hub bearings were going out, but that was not the cause of the noise. I threw on some new brake pads, while I was at it.

Something in the transmission is making the sound. From a slow roll, the noise is there. It abates a bit on acceleration, but when I coast with the shifter in Neutral, it comes back. Kickdown works, and noise goes away on heavy acceleration or accelerating on the flats or uphill. Fluid was a quart low initially (no visible leaks), and a run was made with and without that extra quart with no change. With 200K on it, I suppose I shouldn't be real surprised. Just $$$ I don't want to have to shell out for one, if it comes to that.

Got a friend with a very good transmission shop I'll check with next.

I saw a video where the 2WD versions had issues where the output flange nut on the rear of the transmission comes loose, and destroys the trans and much more. Maybe you can look for the videos on "YukTube". After you drop the driveshaft, you can check for looseness on the flange I believe.

Last edited:
I saw a video where the 2WD versions had issues where the output flange nut on the rear of the transmission comes loose, and destroys the trans and much more. Maybe you can look for the videos on "YukTube". After you drop the driveshaft, you can check for looseness on the flange I believe.

I believe he's talking about a 2001, not a 2021.

I believe he's talking about a 2001, not a 2021.
I could not find the right video, but the info was the point. Might not be the problem, but doesn't hurt to check. The video I saw said that it affected 2WD trucks, but not the 4WD trucks due to the transfer case.

Found vids on Dodge automatics where the torque converter was at fault, the front pump and the wrong fluid being used. Got enough to figure the problem
is definitely the trans.

It's going to the transmission shop in the morning, on a flatbed to avoid any further damage. The shop it's going to comes highly recommended by several people, and he's been doing nothing but transmissions for 50 years. Wish me luck, as a complete overhaul on this transmission is $2,400 - $2,600.

I guess Cancun will have to wait awhile...right?

Good luck maybe they will find something loose and can make a inexpensive fix.

Well, I just went over and drove the truck to probably the best transmission shop in the Metro area. He drove it and said "could be one of two things. The carrier bearing in the axle is going out, or the right rear axle bearing is bad. The transmission is fine!" And he pointed that out after doing what I did not do in trying to diagnose the problem, and that was to shut the truck off while doing 40 mph, and shifting to Neutral. The noise continued, eliminating the transmission as the cause. I can live with replacing the axle bearing! So, now I get to see if the bearing is available, and swap the parts. I was thinking the bearing on this truck was a press-on-the-axle itself, but after watching a couple of YT videos, it's much like replacing the bearing on a GM 12-bolt rear, with the C-clip that keeps the axle in place; and the bearing is pressed into the end of the axle housing before the axle itself is slid into place.

Now, it's finding a time of day to do this. We're at 110 degrees today (actual temperature before that so-called "feels like" nonsense), with 100+degree temps forecast throughout this week and next. Maybe a 2am thrash on one of the weekend nights? Ugh. When did I move to Needles, California?

I'm just happy the fix is relatively cheap if I farm it out, and a lot less, if I decide to go the potential heat stroke route and do it myself. I just love getting old. Not.

Looks like you can still go to Cancun.

Update on this...I had that RR axle and bearing replaced. Wasn't the problem. It ended up being the two ball bearings in the tailshaft. The larger bearing had lost two balls, while the smaller one was scored. Replaced both, checked the fluid and added, and drove it. So far, nearly 400 miles have been put in it without any problems, thankfully. BTW, the axle bearing replaced in July was indeed crap, as there was quite a bit of play that was not adjustable. The transmission shop I used is now the NEW "best transmission shop in town!"...shoulda went there, to start!

So, to recap, the truck has a new axle and axle bearing, fresh axle lube, two new tailshaft bearings, and a clean bill of health.

Auto Transport Service
Back