• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

trunion rebuild

barbee6043

Local time
3:25 PM
Reaction score
I have read the pin can be a booger to press out, and I have also read it needs to be installed with about .003 tolerance or it will have bad vibration. 64 Bel 318 poly. I have another shaft to press a usable pin out of. I would do a conversion be it invoves two trips thru Houston and 6 hours on the road. I hate Houston traffic and I don't want to get shot either! Advice??

You don’t need to remove the pin. Unless it is damaged. You cannot get it close and grind it or the joint will be loose and vibrate.

The new boot can pass through the housing. Clean everything spotless and use spray lube. Work it through there. I have done it.

after the boot is on then install all the new pieces on the pin and slide the housing on. They say use the same amount of greas in east side of the unit, and not too much grease, it needs air space inside. I used CV joint grease.

Don't press it out. You can do the rebuild with it in place. I have rebuilt a few, including the bearings. Took apart, cleaned, re greased needle bearings and put back together. The boot needs to be well lubed to slide through but is doable. When you clamp the boot down, lay a small piece of felt between the boot and trunk trunion to act a vent.

If you were closer I have a rebuilt driveshaft out of a 64 sitting in my shop.

You don’t need to remove the pin. Unless it is damaged. You cannot get it close and grind it or the joint will be loose and vibrate.

The new boot can pass through the housing. Clean everything spotless and use spray lube. Work it through there. I have done it.

after the boot is on then install all the new pieces on the pin and slide the housing on. They say use the same amount of greas in east side of the unit, and not too much grease, it needs air space inside. I used CV joint grease.
The pin is damaged. The PO put it togeter and it failed, his fault. NO shop here will fool with the pin. I will pay for a converson driveshaft,

Auto Transport Service
Back