• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trunk Compartment

Dave6T4

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:08 PM
Reaction score
If anybody is interested in tidying up their trunk compartment, Classic Industries has repro trunk side panel boards available for 1962 and 1963 B-bodies. I bought a set of 1963 hardtop panels for my 1964 Polara. There is a certain amount of bending and folding, but they dropped right in and look pretty good. Part #'s MB437 to MB443, depending on application. I imagine, with minor trimming, they will work for '64 and '65 B-bodies as well. I have posted pictures of install in my car. Note that all Canadian Dodges and Plymouths mounted spare tire like US convertibles.

P2070030.JPG P2070031.JPG P2070032.JPG

Looks good Dave..question..are these replacements for originals?

Looks good Dave..question..are these replacements for originals?
My car did not originally have these. I have old period drive tests by Motor Trend, Car Life, etc. showing these in 1962 and 1963 cars, but I don't think they were offered for 1964. Since the '63 and '64 trunk areas are almost the same, I decided to use them anyway for a tidier appearance.

Right, I think that only the outer trunk drop off pieces were present in 64. And of course they are reproduced.

Dave - wanted to pick your brain...I can find the jack/Wingnut/holddown bracket for the spare tire setup, but don't know and/or cant find what else is needed to get the trunk as original as possible for the spare tire: is it a J-bolt/screw and cup? or...? btw, Just picked up the Trunk filler panels for a 63 500 from Classic, part#MB446
thanks for any info!
Dan

Dave - wanted to pick your brain...I can find the jack/Wingnut/holddown bracket for the spare tire setup, but don't know and/or cant find what else is needed to get the trunk as original as possible for the spare tire: is it a J-bolt/screw and cup? or...? btw, Just picked up the Trunk filler panels for a 63 500 from Classic, part#MB446
thanks for any info!
Dan
Mine has a J-hook that passes through holes on sides of bumper hook and threads into trunk floor bracket to hold spare wheel and tire in place. Note that this is Canadian car, and U. S. may be different.

Dave,as you stated the US cars were mounted different and they have the J hook.
I don't have it in front of me but I believe the owners manual has a photo of the jack, attachments and placement.

Fyi, original 62 trunk, cardboard, no j hook

961945-afdb55f34ab63def763421178053f2d7.jpg

Just curious, is there a way to know what your car came with in the trunk? the one i'm getting has nothing at all but not sure how it came, 62 belvedere, low end car so i assume probably bare trunk..

I wonder if they make any padded ones so that the "Trunk Monkey" doesn't get bruised up when traveling.:lol:

No, it was just the boards. My car had sheetmetal tabs under the trunk drip rail from which the boards hung ( the boards were punched for this ). You will need to come up with a pair of button-headed spring clips like the ones that hold the rear package tray in place. I saw the clips that another poster showed, but my 1964 Polara did not have these.

To add to the confusion, my 64 polara 2dr hdtp  did come with the panels. Canadian car.

Auto Transport Service
Back