• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trunk Extensions

Jerry Hall

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:01 AM
Reaction score
Just had a question posed to me that I have no answer for. I was called about trunk extensions for a 66 Coronet. I said I have no spare 66 or 67 Coronet trunk extensions and the only spare trunk extensions I would possibly have were for 66 or 67 Belvedere. His answer was they should be the same. I have no idea as I haven't ever even though to try that. I know there is a lot of similarities in the cars, but does anyone know.

Sorry, I mean quarter extensions.

Well a dodge is about 2” longer than a Plymouth from the wheel well to the bumper. So they will be too short.

Well a dodge is about 2” longer than a Plymouth from the wheel well to the bumper. So they will be too short.
Thanks, I'm almost sure they quarter extensions won't interchange, but don't know for sure. Now that I know the trunk extensions are longer on a Dodge, it's likely that quarter extensions or taillight housings won't interchange either.

Trunk extensions are the same length, they have the same trunk pans. They also have the same part number in my 67 parts book. Chargers are different, they are wider at the front.

Trunk extensions are the same length, they have the same trunk pans. They also have the same part number in my 67 parts book. Chargers are different, they are wider at the front.
What about the taillight housings or quarter extensions.

It took a while to find the extensions, and they are different, as well as the housings. The parts books can be quite confusing at times, and this is one of those times, but I think I got it right.

It took a while to find the extensions, and they are different, as well as the housings. The parts books can be quite confusing at times, and this is one of those times, but I think I got it right.
Thanks for looking it up. I have looked things up in the parts books before and figuring out what is W and what is R gets confusing and the lines seem to run together. It's even more confusing for me as most of my parts books are on computer disks and means I can't have multiple pages up at the same time without printing them.

I work better with a real book. Sometimes there is a lot of flipping pages. Most of the time the books are pretty straight forward, once you get the system figured out, but other times not so much.

What about the taillight housings or quarter extensions.

that stuff is specific Dodge/Plymouth, and 66/67. Different lens, different housings, remember the lens seals to the housing. And the housings have holes to mount the chrome bezel. The extension has the same shape cutout as the taillight chrome.
In addition, the top of the quarter is a different shape Dodge to Plymouth. It starts when the quarter flares up

Here is photo evidence they are different. Top is 67 coronet, bottom is 67 Belvedere. I lined up the front and Look at the overall length difference. Look at the yellow areas where the panel behind the bumper goes. Look at the 3 whitish rocks I put on the bottom panel, above them there are squares stamped into the Plymouth part, and they are absent on the Dodge.

On a 2 door 1967 from door jamb to end of quarter panel (not the extension) a Plymouth is 85 11/16” long And a Dodge is 89 7/16”
I got a nice coronet trunk mat and had to cut it shorter to fit in a Plymouth trunk.

View attachment 938746 B5C41320-5BD7-4628-BF01-89AB540C4197.jpeg 6322BD44-B01B-483C-8AC1-A04CBAA713E7.jpeg 366478A2-6367-4748-BC4C-DF8F75D4D6B7.jpeg 220E05CD-D9B8-4B4A-94CA-A5BD057DBB5A.jpeg

Last edited:
that stuff is specific Dodge/Plymouth, and 66/67. Different lens, different housings, remember the lens seals to the housing. And the housings have holes to mount the chrome bezel. The extension has the same shape cutout as the taillight chrome.
In addition, the top of the quarter is a different shape Dodge to Plymouth. It starts when the quarter flares up
I knew 66/67 Belvedere are different from personal experience. My only real experience on Dodge is with 67's. We did a 66 Coronet 440 for a person, but it was basically just take apart, paint and reassemble. Thanks for the help.

No they were easy to get out of the shed. I knew they were different, glad to share the photos. It looks like Plymouth might be cut shorter, but the 3 squares and the different length up front makes the difference.

I’m unsure why the parts book said they were the same.

YES glad I have them to take photos of! LOL

At first I’m was thinking they could cut the ends off of the extensions to match the quarter skins that goes on them Dodge or Plymouth. But the front measurements are different and this 3 stamped squares, possibly as a quick identifier for the metal shop just by looking at them.

Last edited:
No they were easy to get out of the shed. I knew they were different, glad to share the photos. I’m unsure why the parts book said they were the same.
I'm just glad to know someone that has some. :lowdown:

Auto Transport Service
Back