• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trunk seal

triple-T-pops

Local time
11:28 PM
Reaction score
I recently had my 64 fury painted, but cannot seem to figure out how the trunk seal goes back in. Particularly across the rear. Is it supposed to be cut?

Not sure about your car but its glued on '69 B-bodies. Weatherstrip adhesive - basically contact cement.

On my '63 laid the new strip out evenly removing twists w/o stretching it, just keeping it taught, using weather adhesive and as I recall had about two inches of overlay at the rear to be cut off where the seam is.

I found that using the good 3m black w.s. adhesive, I had the best luck spreading the glue with popsicle sticks. Lay down about 6-8" on the gutter and an equal amount on the bottom of the weather strip. Let it tack up a bit and carefully place it on the gutter edge. You can tape it or as I found, spring type clips (think close line) worked well. It sets up rather fast so it doesn't take long to get around the whole trunk.
Mike

Thanks! Anyone have a picture of the installed seal? That would help me determine where to place it. Especially the rear piece.

I finally got all the parts gathered up to do my 65 coronet. A 64 is probably the same. Going to do mine next week.
First, I had a hard time finding new rubber that matched the original. I finally found it at Chesters. Its sold by the foot, so I bought a piece that was extra long. That black 3M glue takes to long to dry. You have to use clips to hold it in place until it drys. I got Wurth glue, especially made for weartherstripping. It is suppose to dry-stick within a few seconds, so once it sticks, that's it !! I'm going to test fit a short 2" piece to see how it actually works. Along the lower back (Img 1038) the trunk surface is flat, but the seal has thet lip on the bottom side so I'm not sure how well this will lay down. I need to look thru my junk seals and see how it was fit. The seam is at the center of the back. So I'll start at the top center and work around to the right side, then the left side so they'll meet at the bottom center.

IMG_1035.JPG

IMG_1036.JPG

IMG_1038.JPG

IMG_1039.JPG

IMG_1040.JPG

I finally got all the parts gathered up to do my 65 coronet. A 64 is probably the same. Going to do mine next week.
First, I had a hard time finding new rubber that matched the original. I finally found it at Chesters. Its sold by the foot, so I bought a piece that was extra long. That black 3M glue takes to long to dry. You have to use clips to hold it in place until it drys. I got Wurth glue, especially made for weartherstripping. It is suppose to dry-stick within a few seconds, so once it sticks, that's it !! I'm going to test fit a short 2" piece to see how it actually works. Along the lower back (Img 1038) the trunk surface is flat, but the seal has thet lip on the bottom side so I'm not sure how well this will lay down. I need to look thru my junk seals and see how it was fit. The seam is at the center of the back. So I'll start at the top center and work around to the right side, then the left side so they'll meet at the bottom center.

View attachment 1315198

View attachment 1315199

View attachment 1315200

View attachment 1315201

View attachment 1315202
That black 3M weatherstrip doesn't really take that long to dry. You glue the painted surface, and you glue the rubber. You don't lay down the rubber seal with wet glue, it doesn't work that way. Wait until it's dry to the touch before sticking the rubber onto the trunk lip. It bonds almost instantly so be sure to carefully align it before sticking it down. No clamps needed with mine, it was stuck on as soon as I pressed it together. From the first application of glue to the final trimming and lining up of the two ends, the job was done in under ten minutes. I did this yesterday.

You can use spring loaded clothes pins to hold it in place, cheap and good to have in the shop.

Auto Transport Service
Back