• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trunk torsion springs

MTBRider

Local time
2:47 PM
Reaction score
Does anyone know if anyone is selling new replacement torsion springs that will fit and (hold up) my 67 Coronet 500 trunk lid? I’ve adjusted to the max setting and took them off and tried to add twist to help with minimal success. It will stay up about half way but that’s it.
Any help is appreciated!

I did:
Mike
IMG_1466.JPGIMG_1467.JPG

What weight rating (for the gas struts) did you use? I either have to find a set of torsion springs or go with gas struts, and from what I've heard installing the torsion springs can be a hazardous job.
I worked with NAPA to find the correct capacity struts for my situation. Unless you had identical weight and leverage conditions to me you would need something different. I went thru 3 different models before finding the correct ones. I would start at 100#. Check out my thumb. I swore I was in the clear!
Mike
IMG_0450.JPG

Thanks for the input. I considered adding struts but would rather just replace the torsion rods if possible.
Still hoping for a source for new replacements

I worked with NAPA to find the correct capacity struts for my situation. Unless you had identical weight and leverage conditions to me you would need something different. I went thru 3 different models before finding the correct ones. I would start at 100#. Check out my thumb. I swore I was in the clear!
Mike
View attachment 1295990
Thanks for the info, that's about what I was thinking would be a good starting point for my 66 coronet trunk lid. Looks like the thumb took a good shot there, the kind that makes you speak a different language... :mad:

Are the rubbing blocks on the torsion bars that push against the hinge in good shape? Or even there? Makes a HUGE difference....

The rubbing blocks are there but do show some wear. Not sure that replacements would make enough of a difference.

Auto Transport Service
Back