• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trunk Upholstery

Stumper

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
7:00 AM
Reaction score
Early B Body Trunk Upholstery

I am getting ready to make some side panels and carpet and vinyl the trunk in my 62 Savoy and looking for ideas. My car is tubbed so I have wheel tubs to deal with and I also have a fuel cell and battery box in the trunk. My current thinking is to run carpet down the back of the cabin partition and out along the trunk floor with carpet up over the wheel tubs and on the inside face of them. I would then make side panels that run from the very rear by the tail light up and over the tubs and cover them with vinyl in the colors/patterns of my interior. I made panel templates this week and cut out two panels yesterday using some 3/16" pressboard. Since the material is not as flexable as the cardboard template I am going to have to remove the fuel cell and battery box to get room to put them in - which means I have to be ready to get the vinyl work done at the same time. I am looking for any ideas - preferably pictures or experiances, that you guys could post here to help me think this thing through before I get into it too deep. I think any pictures of a finished early B body trunk would help but particularly if it is tubbed.
I am also thinking I will have matching vinyl covers made for the fuel cell and battery box.
This is a picture of my trunk now. I'll put up some pictures later of what I have done so far to install panel supports and of the panels I have made.
SDC10902.jpg

Here is a shot of the side panel stops that I installed to secure the bottom of the panel. The top of the panel will tuck into the outer lip of the trunk.
SDC11681_zps73adfb5e.jpg

And this is what the side panels look like - obviously without the vinyl.
SDC11683_zpsb596b032.jpg

Last edited:
Geeesh, nobody boxed in their trunk?? Looks like the biggest issue I am going ot have is getting the finished panels in place. The rear panel of the car has a lip sticking up about 1" where the quarter panel meets it and it will be tough to bend the panel over it. I may need to cut it out..

my car is.. Let me see if I have a good picture of the trunk for you.

I will take one tomorrow.. I forgot to go out to the shop tonight as I did not get home until about 7.

Here is one of mine..

- - - Updated - - -

and from the otherside

Attachments

• trunk (Large).jpg
    trunk (Large).jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 203
  • trunk2 (Large).jpg
    trunk2 (Large).jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 195
Why cover it? Break out the sander and the paint. I have to admit I did have to body work the inner 1/4s after my rust repair.
Doug

Attachments

• F46.JPG
    F46.JPG
    129.5 KB · Views: 197
  • P21.jpg
    P21.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 185
  • P19.jpg
    P19.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 212
Furyous - thanks for the pictures. That looks really nice. This is about what I am working towards for mine. Now for the details :) Do your side panels fit into the outer ridge (hard to see)? How did you fix the bottom of the panels to the floor? Is the carpet on the wheel wells stitched together where the front meets the circumfrence or just butted? How did you fasten the carpet to the ribs on the rear section covering the light sockets?
Also, what did you do around the hinges? It appears to be a separate carpet "box"? Do you have a close up of that area? I have not been able to come up with anything for the hinges.

DVW - man if my trunk were that clean I surely would not cover it - but alas, it's not and covering what I have will be a whole lot easier than getting it to what you have there... That is really nice!!!

Auto Transport Service
Back