• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

trunk weather strip

wedgee

Local time
1:01 PM
Reaction score
does anyone have experience with trunk weather strip being to thick? my trunk is/was perfect fitting until i installed the weather stripping. now the trunk is easily 1/4" taller than the fenders and even though I adjusted the latch to accommodate it is hard closing, you have to slam it to close. Does someone make better fitting stuff out there? I think I got it out of classic but to their credit it fit perfectly, just to thick...

It will compress over time. I installed mine about 3 years ago and yes it lifted the margins a good bit.
Don't expect it overnight. It will take a long time.
Does someone make better fitting stuff out there?
Not that I know of.

71 RR trunk weather strip

You could check to see if Detroit Technologies has the right seal for your car?? (check out the thread "71 RR Trunk weather strip" for more info)
This may be the path you end up going if the trunk seal doesn't eventually compress.
Best of Luck.

Yes Ronnman's photo shows the correct one.The Y shape.
That's the shape mine is.

I had the same issue on a 66-300, don't know who I got it from years ago? It took a couple years for it to get smashed down so you don't have to slam the lid. Look at the bright side, at least you now know its fully sealed when closed!

Yes, DMT sells the correct seal with the notation that it is the correct thickness. I purchased and installed
the regular weather stripping and found out that I couldn't close the deck lid! I left it on for a month and
found out about the DMT stuff. Ripped it out and put the new stuff in and it's great. I guess it's a learning
curve? I just love to buy stuff twice!

Yes, DMT sells the correct seal with the notation that it is the correct thickness. I purchased and installed
the regular weather stripping and found out that I couldn't close the deck lid! I left it on for a month and
found out about the DMT stuff. Ripped it out and put the new stuff in and it's great. I guess it's a learning
curve? I just love to buy stuff twice!
I'll have to do that too. Brand new paint and now this...thanks for the input.

I ordered whatever they sell at Classic and it worked great. Show us some pictures of what yours looks like now.

Steele Rubber products also has the correct one with the lip that goes down over the metal edge same thing raised deck lid but a few months later back to normal.

Auto Transport Service
Back