• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TRW power steering pump end play

Huicho417

Local time
4:29 AM
Reaction score
My steering pump was leaking and finally decided to fix it this morning. Turned out being the pump housing was bent where it mated with the actual pump. Luckily I had a spare and was able to replace it. Now that it’s back in the car the pump has about an 1/8” or a little more of end play. I do recall before it also had some end play, just can’t remember how much. In the process I also noticed my v belt was really bad and replaced it. No noises with the engine running and the test drive seemed all good. It just bothers me a little that I can see the belt follow the end play of the pump. Is this ok? If not how can I reduce some of the end play?

My steering pump was leaking and finally decided to fix it this morning. Turned out being the pump housing was bent where it mated with the actual pump. Luckily I had a spare and was able to replace it. Now that it’s back in the car the pump has about an 1/8” or a little more of end play. I do recall before it also had some end play, just can’t remember how much. In the process I also noticed my v belt was really bad and replaced it. No noises with the engine running and the test drive seemed all good. It just bothers me a little that I can see the belt follow the end play of the pump. Is this ok? If not how can I reduce some of the end play?
Did you open up the pump section? Man, been probably 25 years since having one totally apart....but seems like I remember a spacer washer being in the housing? Got to have a little bit of end play but 1/8" is kinda a lot.

The shaft is floating in the rotor, the rotor is driven by a round pin being used as a key so the shaft doesn't apply a thrust load to the rotor... It's normal...

Great, seems like I have nothing to worry about. Thanks everyone.
Probably don't have anything to worry about....but I just remembered that I have one on the shelf that probably has 100k miles on it.....1/32nd" end play. That's almost a spark plug gap. I'm thinking you may not have 1/8" end play on yours?

I did any warrantee pumps back in the day working at the dealer. Most had quite a bit of end play. Never hurt anything.
Doug

Auto Transport Service
Back