• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trying to find OEM fabric to reupholster seats....

Kern Dog

Life is full of turns. Build your car to handle.
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:01 AM
Reaction score
In the ongoing "Ginger" project, I'm looking to do some upholstery work.

Folsom 11.JPG

Years back, I pulled the original bucket seats and installed a pair from a 2004-2006 Dodge Neon SRT 4.

00000026 (3).JPG
SRT 2A.JPG

SRT.JPG

The color was close enough to the rear seat but the shape and style was not. The rear seat was recovered in 2003 using a Legendary set.

LR.jpg

The original seats from this red car will be going into this car:

JF 7.JPG

My goal is to recover this seat:

IMG_8287.JPG
IMG_E8311.JPG

...to match the fronts in color and fabric design.
I went to a few upholstery shops and was able to find the "code" for the fabric used by Chrysler but of course....it is discontinued by the vendor. My best chance is that some warehouse somewhere has a roll in their inventory.
I called a company known as SMS in Oregon, one of the largest suppliers of OEM fabrics. They don't have it.
This is a want, not a need.
I want the rear seat to have similar side bolsters as the front for appearance, comfort and to keep rear seat passengers in place. I want the colors and fabric to match.
Of course, if I simply open the wallet W-I-D-E, I could just recover front and rear with readily available new designed material but that will push the costs beyond what I wanted to spend. I'm only guessing but it could run $2500-3000 to do both sets.

The fabric I need is OEM to 2004-2006 Chrysler products.
I don't even need that much of it, just the part that is perforated in this section:

Ginger RS 1.jpg
Ginger RS 2.jpg

Easiest thing to do is find the rear seat that matches your new seats, remove the upholstery and see if an upholstery guy can chop it up and make it work. They can work some majic, add/subtract materials and come up with something that’ll match.

I thought of that too. The SRT 4 wasn't a high production car so even that may be a long shot.
Thank you.

Maybe an srt-4 forum? Someone’s gotta be parting one out somewhere

Hey there’s a couple on ebay right now- maybe they’ll pull the upholstery and send it? Check it out

Forums like this are great. I didn't think of ebay.
That idea gave me another....Maybe a wrecked Chrysler, Charger or Magnum may have the same material.
One upholsterer I spoke with that had catalogs with OEM fabric swatches showed me that 2006 Chrysler 300s were available with the same fabric, some Dakota models too. I have several self serve junkyards in town that I can check to see.....
Thanks!

Here's a long shot - get a hold of Bishko Books and see if they have a factory upholstery book for 2004-2006. Books with low demand are sometimes cheap.

I put cordoba seats in my car, not as racy of a seat but the car is cruiser. And then since getting the backseat reupholstered would be astronomically expensive, I got some hog rings and a Mexican blanket for the back.

FDEF3E43-3E54-451C-99BA-269263956FA4.jpeg

BCF7BCF6-C668-4FBC-8F50-4905B7B8E8B9.jpeg

B5292BA1-ECAF-465C-991A-3A044B241BE5.jpeg

Most Neons (including SRT-4's) are now in their final resting place - if they haven't been crushed already.
Willing to bet there's one being parted out somewhere as we speak...
Think I'd start with the 2004 Neon sales brochure to see what models shared that interior.

Of course, I wouldn't use late model stuff in a classic Mopar to begin with. Just looks wrong....
not to mention, those child-sized seats don't fit this full-sized adult arse. :)

Of course, I wouldn't use late model stuff in a classic Mopar to begin with. Just looks wrong....
not to mention, those child-sized seats don't fit this full-sized adult arse. :)
Taking a corner at above the speed limit results in an *** slide with the stock seats. I've always preferred a car that handles well as opposed to a straight line drag race car.
Modern seats are more comfortable and hold me in place. I've made efforts to make this car more fun to drive, which makes me more likely to drive and enjoy it.

Taking a corner at above the speed limit results in an *** slide with the stock seats. I've always preferred a car that handles well as opposed to a straight line drag race car.
Modern seats are more comfortable and hold me in place. I've made efforts to make this car more fun to drive, which makes me more likely to drive and enjoy it.
Try these guys, if they do not have it they might have some ideas of were to look.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...AQFnoECBMQAQ&usg=AOvVaw23LNQsXbj_QSwq0aQGYCQ6

Modern seats are more comfortable and hold me in place.
Disagree totally. The last modern vehicle I was in that had actual comfortable seats - I still own:
my 2004 Ram SLT.
Adult-sized seats with plenty of proper foam - not butt pinching, narrow-bony-assed tiny
squares in the middle surrounded by sciatica-invoking over-bolstering on the sides.
People aren't built like that - unless they're 125 pounds.

Well, neither I nor the wife is 125 lbs and we both fit comfortably in these seats.
The stock seats are reasonably comfortable for most occasions. The 1970 high back buckets are fine but I like the support that modern seats provide.
Modern seats recline. That is an added benefit. 7 hours in the car with these SRT4 seats is an easier ride than it was with non reclining vinyl seats with minimal support. The stock seats bounce more when going down the road.
Besides…I have deviated from stock on many other things in the interest of making the car a better driver for myself. If others like it, that is fine. If they don’t, so what ?

Last edited:
Here's a long shot - get a hold of Bishko Books and see if they have a factory upholstery book for 2004-2006. Books with low demand are sometimes cheap.
I think that is what the upholsterer used to identify the fabric.
I was at 4 junkyards today looking at various cars. The 2004-2008 Charger and 300 models seemed to be the only cars that had anything similar. The rear seat segments don't have wide enough sections to harvest the material. It looks like I'd have to cannibalize front buckets to get material and even then, it may not be enough. These cars are approaching 20 years old and many have extensive wear. I saw several that looked close in design but only found one that was a direct match. That car was being sold whole as a builder, not piece by piece.
I may abandon this idea. Sometimes I'm able to beat the system with junkyard crawling, other times I'm like the guy that bought a hat that is too small and then getting my head shrunk to fit that hat.
Maybe I'll check with the supplier that @1967coronet mentioned in post # 15.
Thanks again.

Modern seats are more comfortable and hold me in place. I've made efforts to make this car more fun to drive, which makes me more likely to drive and enjoy it. I
Well, neither I nor the wife is 125 lbs and we both fit comfortably in these seats.
The stock seats are reasonably comfortable for most occasions. The 1970 high back buckets are fine but I like the support that modern seats provide.
Modern seats recline. That is an added benefit. 7 hours in the car with these SRT4 seats is an easier ride than it was with non reclining vinyl seats with minimal support. The stock seats bounce more when going down the road.
Besides…I have deviated from stock on many other things in the interest of making the car a better driver for myself. If others like it, that is fine. If they don’t, so what ?
So reclining seats used to lead to some extracurricular activities some years ago. But if a seat belt is in use there shouldn’t be any sliding. My humble opinion. We have made a few over 3000 mile car show trips, and my wife likes the factory seats.

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back