• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trying to ID this exhaust! Looking for this exact sound

Isaiah Estrada

Local time
10:38 PM
Reaction score
LOVE THIS SOUND!

Gorgeous Chrysler 300 with a 440. I love that deep, low yet mellow rumble it has - and that nice roar when you lay into it! IMO one of the best sounds ever especially with that big block 440 like I also have. Video says it's a glasspack, but there's so many out there. It doesn't seem to be extremely rowdy at idle though like some glasspacks i've heard before. Wondering if any of you are running an exhaust with a similar sound? If so, what are you running? Looking for a mild sound, not too annoying to drive on the freeway but also enough to let you know there's something mean under the hood!

I found a picture of the glass pack he has on that very car. Its just a thrush glass pack.

glasspack.png

Looks like this one.
s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Judging by the rear end, it is a single exhaust. Dual glasspacks might be a little annoying if you want mellow.

Thrush mufflers !! And Hush Thrush mufflers !! And Cherry Bombs !! All these we used to install back in the day for that "sound".

Last edited:
Tti offers dynomax mufflers. I was thinking about getting them, but my first choice would’ve been the glass packs. It’s going to be going on a 440 69 General Lee. Any suggestions?

If you want mellow, you want the longest glsss packs you can get. I consider 24” to be on the short end of the spectrum, 30-36” is what you’re after on a dual exhaust.12” glass packs are only suitable on 64 impala lowriders with a 283. If you can’t get long ones now a days, install 2 shorter ones in each pipe to get the desired tone. If you’re doing single, you can get by with less muffler. Since you are jamming all 8 cyls through one pipe, it mellows down due to restriction. I have a 2.5” magnaflow full case straight thru muffler on my single exhaust 66 300 with 325hp 383 4 barrel and it sounds really good.
Travis..

Thrush mufflers !! And Hush Thrush mufflers !! And Cherry Bombs !! All these we used to install back in the day for that "sound".
I had the thrush original sound of powers on my 383 way back, still the best sound I've heard. The round coffee can ones

If you want mellow, you want the longest glsss packs you can get. I consider 24” to be on the short end of the spectrum, 30-36” is what you’re after on a dual exhaust.12” glass packs are only suitable on 64 impala lowriders with a 283. If you can’t get long ones now a days, install 2 shorter ones in each pipe to get the desired tone. If you’re doing single, you can get by with less muffler. Since you are jamming all 8 cyls through one pipe, it mellows down due to restriction. I have a 2.5” magnaflow full case straight thru muffler on my single exhaust 66 300 with 325hp 383 4 barrel and it sounds really good.
Travis..
Thank you, I appreciate the feedback, but I’m still not sure what sound I am looking for. I am watching lots of videos on YouTube hoping the correct sound will come my way.

Dynomax super turbo with some glasspacks in the tailpipes as resonators would be my choice.

Long glass packs and tailpipes. With manifolds--not headers.

Thank you, I appreciate the feedback, but I’m still not sure what sound I am looking for. I am watching lots of videos on YouTube hoping the correct sound will come my way.
I feel that the sound in a video and the sound in person are two completely different animals. I would try to listen to cars local to you in person to get a better feel for what’s what
Travis..

Auto Transport Service
Back