• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trying to track down my grandfather's old hemi superbird

MadMikeyL

Local time
9:50 AM
Reaction score
Hello everyone! My name is Mike, I live in NJ, and while I generally consider myself a Ford guy, I have always had a love for the Daytonas and Superbirds. Part of my love for the cars probably comes from my grandfather, who back in the 70s had 2 Superbirds, one was a white 440/auto, and the other, which both he and my uncle always talked about, was a Tor-red 426 hemi/4spd. Both cars were sold before I was born, so I never got to see either one in person, and about 10 years ago my grandfather passed away. Recently my aunt was going through some papers in my grandmother's house and found some literature on the superbird. In that folder with the paperwork was also the original build sheet for the car! While this is a cool memory of my grandfather, as a car guy I feel like this belongs with the car, wherever it is, so what I would love to do is track down the current owner of the car, see the car my grandfather owned in person, maybe even go for a ride in the car, and get this build sheet with the current owner. The VIN for the car I am looking for is rm23r0a174616. It is a Tor-red hemi 4spd 1970 Superbird with black bucket seats. I know my grandfather sold the car in 1980, and at that time he was living in Freehold, NJ. If anyone knows the current location of this car, or has any leads, I would appreciate it. Thanks.

Mike

Great gesture on your part Mike. Welcome and good luck.

OK, that Eric Price one has to be it. The VIN is a match, and on the folder that has all the documents for the car, on the back there is an address for an Eric W Price in Kalamazoo Michigan, and a phone number for an Eric Price in Chester NJ. Unfortunately all these addresses and phone numbers are over 30 years old, so they have all been dead ends. Court9155, do you have an email address for nascarxx29 on the dodgecharger.com forums? It looks like he was also trying to track down this car, and from the looks of it, and the photo in that link, this car may not exist anymore. That would be unfortunate, but it would be nice to track it down one way or the other.

OK, that Eric Price one has to be it. The VIN is a match, and on the folder that has all the documents for the car, on the back there is an address for an Eric W Price in Kalamazoo Michigan, and a phone number for an Eric Price in Chester NJ. Unfortunately all these addresses and phone numbers are over 30 years old, so they have all been dead ends. Court9155, do you have an email address for nascarxx29 on the dodgecharger.com forums? It looks like he was also trying to track down this car, and from the looks of it, and the photo in that link, this car may not exist anymore. That would be unfortunate, but it would be nice to track it down one way or the other.

Dude I just did a google on the correct VIN and two results popped up.

One , from that dodgecharger forum of which I am NOT a member.

The second, sadly, links to a dead in but the narrative in the search results say "Parts Of Rm23roa174616 And Never Found That Fk5 Hemi Superbird.........."

I hate to say this but I would guess the car did not fair too well :(

Yeah, that was the impression I got as well from your link. I guess my searches didn't come up with anything because I searched with r0a as opposed to roa. I just registered on the dodgecharger forums to see if I can get in touch with nascarxx29 to see if I can get any more info from him on the fate of the car. I didn't know if you were already a member there or not, or how you found the link. Thanks again for the help!

I hope you manage to find it, And agree let us know how its coming, don't give up!

Auto Transport Service
Back