• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trying to understand the different options on 74 RR (steering wheel, dash, seats etc…). Saw a couple different setups and wondered what was accurate.

tonyp25

Local time
5:42 AM
Reaction score
So I saw a fully restored 1974 GTX and a few things stood out to me. It seemed to have a satellite steering wheel and the dash only went to 120mph. I thought it would have the dash that goes to 150mph.

Could you basically just customize the vehicle to your liking when ordering them? Browsing photos online of fully restored vehicles I’ve seen three different types of steering wheels, two different instrument clusters, bench and bucket seats, and a few with extra vents in the dash (assuming this was for factory AC). If someone with more info than me wants to help me get smarter on the subject I’d appreciate it!

IMG_6816.jpeg

IMG_6814.jpeg

IMG_6812.jpeg

IMG_6813.jpeg

IMG_6811.jpeg

IMG_6590.jpeg

Short answers for 1974 GTX:

The 120 speedo was the standard for 1974. The 150 speedo was no longer available even as an option. All GTX's came with the round gauges in woodgrain plastic (Rallye gauges). Different configurations as to what gauges (fuel, oil, alt) were in what hole depended on if the car had the clock or tach option.

The wide padded steering wheel pictured was the new standard wheel for 1974. The metal 3-spoke wheel pictured was an option. I'm not aware of a third type of stock steering wheel.

GTX could come with either bench or bucket seats.

The "tuff wheel" pictured looks like an aftermarket, judging by the extremely thick padding.

In ‘72-‘74 “GTX” signified the 440 engine option on the road runner. Automatic only in ‘73-‘74.

Auto Transport Service
Back