• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TTI or Dougs headers??? I've got to know what to buy!

I'm in the middle of installing Dougs ceramic coated 452's in my 66 coronet with 440. Passenger side was a breeze and the fit was perfect. I did slap a bunch of painters tape on them to keep from scratching them up and bought a rebuilt mini starter for the drivers side. Got one for a 88 dodge diplomat ($73.00). Can't beat that.

I'm in the position of ordering my headers but haven't decided yet. What size did you go with? I'm looking at D451 for my 400 but out of stock at the moment:(. TTi's says 1 3/4" for HP between 300-475 while 1 7/8" for HP 400-600. Doug's doesn't say anything like that.

Also, any issues with the mini starter you purchased? Was told a Ram starter from '99-'04(?) 5.9 would work as well but don't know.

One more thing for anyone who knows. IF you installed Doug's headers, do you need to modify the torque shaft assembly or should I get TTi's ?

Thanks

Last edited:
Any of these headers NOT require a mini-starter?

I've got literally dozens of OEM regular starters laying around.

Anything big tube you are going to have to use a mini starter

Can you point me in the direction of black ceramic coated headers? I only see high temp coated which I assume isn't the same as ceramic. Would love to see them. Do they come in any other size besides 2" primaries?

I was wrong, it's just black high temp paint not ceramic. And the black scrapes really easy so I went with the ceramic nonblack

I'm in the position of ordering my headers but haven't decided yet. What size did you go with? I'm looking at D451 for my 400 but out of stock at the moment:(. TTi's says 1 3/4" for HP between 300-475 while 1 7/8" for HP 400-600. Doug's doesn't say anything like that.

Also, any issues with the mini starter you purchased? Was told a Ram starter from '99-'04(?) 5.9 would work as well but don't know.

One more thing for anyone who knows. IF you installed Doug's headers, do you need to modify the torque shaft assembly or should I get TTi's ?

Thanks
I went with the D452 with 2" primaries and they fit my 440 475HP like a glove with no modification. No leaks at all and the Diplomat starter has worked perfect so far.

Do the 452's fit an RB in a 68 b body with power steering?

Thanks

Has anyone tried this on their headers to see if it works?
Yes, I have and yes, it works as seen.
I do not use it on coated headers as it voids the warranty on the header. Also, the wrap will hold in water if driven in the rain. Rust problem if not fully dried when you out the car away. Also, jetting should be about as perfect for the car/carb as possible since you can run up temps really high. This is a problem that creates metal fatigue in the heating and cooling cycles quicker than without the wrap.

The wrap is very good for race and mostly race cars or limited street. I would not recommend it for daily (or often) useage unless your tune is ace.

Auto Transport Service
Back