• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tuff steering wheel and all required parts for a 70 Roadrunner. Spell out what I need and where to get it.

biomedtechguy

Accelerati Rapidus Maximus
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:09 PM
Reaction score
I searched the forum and the web, and I'm confused and impatient.
Would the forum please lay out for me where I can get a black and satin aluminum finish Tuff type steering wheel and horn cap, and everything needed to put it on my 70 Roadrunner steering column?
My car is a manual transmission car, so no column shift delete required.
Thanks

OEM

or

Grant?

Both available and both different and only "interchange" is the three bolts on the wheel possibly.

OEM

or

Grant?

Both available and both different and only "interchange" is the three bolts on the wheel possibly.
Grant is fine, probably less money too. I have been thinking about doing this, as my interior is "updated" with SCAT seats, a custom console, and Dakota Digital RTX series guage kit. About the only thing I'll miss is the Roadrunner on the horn button. Now that I have power steering, I don't need a 2 foot diameter steering wheel.
Here's a few screenshots of an awesome A12 clone w/the Tuff wheel. It doesn't look like the "accordion-wavy" type spacer was used behind the steering wheel. either.

Screenshot_20220614-104258_YouTube.jpg

Screenshot_20220614-104000_YouTube.jpg

Screenshot_20220614-103929_YouTube.jpg

Accordion spacer (can) is E body only and WAY too long for A/B body use.

A and B (factory) are the same.

"Can" bolts to column just like "regular" wheel. Can is now repop-d.

OEM wheel has three rounded on one side nuts (but others can be used) that bolt to can.

Several people repop the OEM style tuff wheel in several not quite OEM styles.

You may want to consider a real leather wrapped one.

I believe the guy that repops LRE (Red Express) stuff does those.

Dale's Cuda shop makes a couple.

I have one of his early ones and it's a little thinner and a little firmer than true OEM.

I hear the later ones are much closer but haven't seen one in person.

Last edited:
If you don’t use a spacer you will need arms like a chimpanzee. Of you use the accordion spacer you will need to sit in the back seat.

I think "crush collar" is the term used for the "wavy spacer", but that's not what I think I need. I see AEM makes something. Dave's is out of stock. I definitely like the perforated leather wrap. These posts are helpful, but not quite the "order form" I was hoping for. Lol.

If you don’t use a spacer you will need arms like a chimpanzee. Of you use the accordion spacer you will need to sit in the back seat.
I see a "plain black" spacer in the car I screen shot.

Depends on where your seat needs to be for the pedals. Might work for some.

I understand the 2 foot diameter wheel lol. When I took the original wheel off of my first 66 Belvedere a 13" wheel was installed. I liked it!

I understand the 2 foot diameter wheel lol. When I took the original wheel off of my first 66 Belvedere a 13" wheel was installed. I liked it!
Just know it changes the steering ratio. So with power steering now the car is darting from side to side like a rack n pinion. Manual steering takes 2Xthe muscles to turn the car.

I bough a car with a small wheel. Absolutely hated how it drove.

Last edited:
Here is the factory A/B Tuff wheel adapter. The Flamingriver wheel in the #2 post link says it fits on this factory adapter. The Grant wheels use their own adapter.
1655225667304.jpeg

Auto Transport Service
Back