• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Turn signal indicator illuminated

68_Gtx

Local time
11:31 AM
Reaction score
I recently bought a 67 Belvedere wagon and I’m having two issues. When the headlights are on the left turn signal indicator is always illuminated. It will blink if using the turn signal or flashers and all the the lights outside are operating properly. The second thing is the gas gauge only works if the headlights are on. It has a new gas tank and sending unit. Any ideas?
725B0A47-B7AF-4988-AB3A-BC113AEF1022.jpeg

I recently bought a 67 Belvedere wagon and I’m having two issues. When the headlights are on the left turn signal indicator is always illuminated. It will blink if using the turn signal or flashers and all the the lights outside are operating properly. The second thing is the gas gauge only works if the headlights are on. It has a new gas tank and sending unit. Any ideas? View attachment 1159356
First things first...check all grounds and make sure things are clean and tight. Also look for places wires are rubbing

Make sure there is good and clean contact between light sockets and the housing.

Thanks, I’ll double check all the light sockets and grounds tomorrow morning

Everything points out a ground problems but what is weird on here is, with headlights on the front parking lights gets turned off up to 68. This mean the front turning light bulb shouldn't get any voltage to them, so the cluster pilot light should not get this voltage either not even with a ground failure on the front parking light.

Rears are divorced from front parking to be able to keep on with headlights on into the light switch and turning switch are similar to reach this goal. If front and rears turnings weren't divorced, fronts ( and cluster ) turnings will light on when brakes are applied too.

However, is true ground issues are able to make WEEEEEIRD stuff.

What about the temp gauge ? Works perfect with and without headlights? Both gauges get the same voltage at the same time throught the voltage limiter. I can't think on any reason why both would make a diff thing between them.

Everything points out a ground problems but what is weird on here is, with headlights on the front parking lights gets turned off up to 68. This mean the front turning light bulb shouldn't get any voltage to them, so the cluster pilot light should not get this voltage either not even with a ground failure on the front parking light.

Rears are divorced from front parking to be able to keep on with headlights on into the light switch and turning switch are similar to reach this goal. If front and rears turnings weren't divorced, fronts ( and cluster ) turnings will light on when brakes are applied too.

However, is true ground issues are able to make WEEEEEIRD stuff.

What about the temp gauge ? Works perfect with and without headlights? Both gauges get the same voltage at the same time throught the voltage limiter. I can't think on any reason why both would make a diff thing between them.
The temp gauge isn’t working at all with or without the lights on (gas gauge with parking lights or headlights on does work) I did this morning replace the voltage limiter with a used one that I had from a 68 cluster just to try and nothing changed. Looking under the dash everything appears to be factory (was a one owner car) I don’t see where anyone has tampered with it. The car has been sitting since 1997 before I purchased it a month ago.

If you are noticing any jumps in your alternator gage too, I would also look the wiring harness over under the hood for signs of melted insulation that could be causing a short across some circuits. And pull the bulkhead connectors to look for any melted plug or bulkhead bays that could be shorting across. If your alternator gage seems to act normally though, then probably the less chance of this existing.

The alternator gauge is jerky not at idle but as the rpms increase it becomes jerky (I did replace the alternator a few nights ago because it wasn’t charging) bulk head connections are ok I pulled them and cleaned them (no burnt connections)

AR67GTX just nailed it. So for years I've had various electrical gremlins that came and went (like a lot of us here) some I found, some just vanished but a few remain like my aftermarket tach randomly spiking, car totally shutting off, ignition not firing with key. I have been through bulkhead connector many times and fixes something but will return or morph into something else eventually. Last night I'm driving from VA Beach to Outter Banks for a much needed week off with family and the right turn signal lights up steady, than alternator shits, voltage regulator burnt(found that after alternator change) and when I stopped (car shut off) to check things out the the right front marker light is on! I manage to get car home on battery power, let's get to the point, this is what I found under dash, power wire got so hot it fused four wires to one big mess and wires touched. After many hours of careful splicing and tapping this car has never run so good......not one issue, key is working, tach not spiking, it's frick'n awesome. Lesson learned, pay extreme attention to cleaning and tighten each pin, I wish I spent more time doing so.

8EC628F6-34F0-4D3D-946F-FC14C948C57C.jpeg 4D5901CB-4D02-468A-A305-6A686D8773C5.jpeg EF7D7110-3451-483A-B593-E8504DFB89A0.jpeg

check the ground connection on the left turn signal bulbs. Also make sure the correct bulb is installed correctly.
Most likely, the marker light power when headlight switch is pulled out does not have a good ground at the socket, so the current flows through the turn signal element of the dual filament bulb and is using the dash to ground through the indicator light.

Gas gauge might be a ground. check the tank pickup to fuel line ground strap, or make a ground wire to connect fuel tank to chassis.

check the ground connection on the left turn signal bulbs. Also make sure the correct bulb is installed correctly.
Most likely, the marker light power when headlight switch is pulled out does not have a good ground at the socket, so the current flows through the turn signal element of the dual filament bulb and is using the dash to ground through the indicator light.

that's true IF the parking light would remain ON with headlights on 67, but this feature began on 69. So there shouldn't get power with headlights on.

Auto Transport Service
Back