• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Turn signal lever help

bth0320

Local time
3:22 PM
Reaction score
I had to buy a new turn signal switch for a 68 RR....I bought this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331089897566?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

My question is when I look at the slot where the turn signal lever bolts to, should the notches on the lever fit nicely in that slot or does it get crushed in there somehow? The notches on the lever are slightly larger and the slot on the switch looks to be plastic and might break. My column didn't have a switch in it to compare it to so flying blind....thanks for your help! Brian

turn signal lever.jpg

I just put mine in but I could have sworn the slot in the switch was metal but it didn't go all the way in until it was tightened. I have an original I can look at but it will be a couple days before I get over there.

Mine ('72) is plastic, and I have the whole column out of the car right now. It's a slight crush/pull fit on mine, pulled together and held by the screw into the turn signal lever.

I have no idea as to whether mine is original, but I suspect not. I'm putting a few drops of blue loc-tite to hold that screw in place when I put 'er all back together...fixing the loose lever for mine ended up with a complete overhaul of the column, a steering box swap, and a few other things under the dash "while I was there" LOL The domino theory in action!

Mine ('72) is plastic, and I have the whole column out of the car right now. It's a slight crush/pull fit on mine, pulled together and held by the screw into the turn signal lever.

I have no idea as to whether mine is original, but I suspect not. I'm putting a few drops of blue loc-tite to hold that screw in place when I put 'er all back together...fixing the loose lever for mine ended up with a complete overhaul of the column, a steering box swap, and a few other things under the dash "while I was there" LOL The domino theory in action!

I know the domino theory all too well! It is almost like home improvement projects and how many times you have to go to home depot...always one more time! When you tightened that screw, did the lever sink down all the way into the slot or just barely? I can get it to go a little and it seems like it might hold but too afraid of breaking that plastic. I suppose I could try to file it slightly to make that slot larger.

I know the domino theory all too well! It is almost like home improvement projects and how many times you have to go to home depot...always one more time! When you tightened that screw, did the lever sink down all the way into the slot or just barely? I can get it to go a little and it seems like it might hold but too afraid of breaking that plastic. I suppose I could try to file it slightly to make that slot larger.

I did this on my '68 RR also back in the summer. Once you get it back together be very careful as to how you move the lever up and down when you want to make a turn. Push it up very easy and let it come back by itself and do not force it back to an off position. Those small wire parts in there will break very easily if too much force is put on them. Good luck.

I did this on my '68 RR also back in the summer. Once you get it back together be very careful as to how you move the lever up and down when you want to make a turn. Push it up very easy and let it come back by itself and do not force it back to an off position. Those small wire parts in there will break very easily if too much force is put on them. Good luck.

I can see what you mean as based on the way this switch seems to work, there is no way I could force it back to off without breaking it as the locking part of the switch will not release at all without pushing in hard where the cam would go.

Especially during cold weather as plastic parts can be a bit brittle when cold.

Auto Transport Service
Back