• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Two bad front seal on two consecutive compressors.

73runner

Local time
1:30 PM
Reaction score
I've had to replace two compressors in a row for failed or leaking main seals on the front of my RV2 compressors.

Pressure and suction was good on both. Lines are clear and dryer is good. Used r12 in both of them. Was getting 36 degree air with max a/c and windows closed on both before they failed. The first fails catastrophically. This last is just weeping and leaking out.

Am I missing something or do I just need to call vintage air here in Tampa to rebuild my compressor?

Could the new seals be unable to handle r12?

Comments? Suggestions?

I just posted about my rv2 adventure in the heating and ac forum. The first compressor I got that wouldn't pump was rebuilt by Four Seasons and the one I put on last week was rebuilt by Compressor Works. So far no issues. After doing some research, I would say that these rebuilds are a 50/50 proposition. I am sending my old compressor to Classic Air to have it rebuilt as a back up. If I had it to do over again, I would have gone that route in the first place. Also, new seals would not be affected by any automotive refrigerants, (be it r-12, 134a or any of the replacements) or the lubricants they require. Did you add oil? These rebuilds do not come with oil. Classic was very helpful when I called them and may be able to give you some idea as to what is going on. Hope you get it resolved. Good luck!

I just posted about my rv2 adventure in the heating and ac forum. The first compressor I got that wouldn't pump was rebuilt by Four Seasons and the one I put on last week was rebuilt by Compressor Works. So far no issues. After doing some research, I would say that these rebuilds are a 50/50 proposition. I am sending my old compressor to Classic Air to have it rebuilt as a back up. If I had it to do over again, I would have gone that route in the first place. Also, new seals would not be affected by any automotive refrigerants, (be it r-12, 134a or any of the replacements) or the lubricants they require. Did you add oil? These rebuilds do not come with oil. Classic was very helpful when I called them and may be able to give you some idea as to what is going on. Hope you get it resolved. Good luck!

Yes, they both had the proper amount of oil. Both in the crank case and the system. Because the first one blew the seal so badly I had to check the level carefully. It failed after about 9 months in.

I filled the second and checked it after a few miles. I had to take out the r12 to check it but I was able to recapture it with an old charging station a friend had available. The second one just seeped a bit more than normal and just slowly let the gas out. It only lasted about three months.

The second one drove me crazy as I thought the leak tester was reading a leak on the high side connection to the compressor.

I didn't even mention the very first one which just stopped pumping any pressure or vacuum after about an hour after it went into service. I figure a reed valve just failed.

Did you get a price from classic or vintage for the rebuild?

Classic told me about $340 to rebuild mine (not including clutch). They also have rebuilds on the shelf for $300 if you're not concerned about matching numbers. Sounds like you've had quite a time. Getting two bad ones in a row is just plain bad luck. Just curious, what kind of gaskets did you use and did you re-install the epr?

Metal gaskets and no epr. I've had too many of these delicate epr valves cause me problems.

Auto Transport Service
Back