• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ugliest damn wheels I have ever seen.

To each their own. Remember when we started putting “mag wheels” on our cars? Back then we were rebels, now anything from a Kia to a F-350 has custom factory wheels!

Kept my bikes simple and with no 'bling'.......or shifters and the like.....
My first new bike, my only new bike for that matter. Me with it on Christmas. Some things you just don't ever forget.
20210923_202017.jpg

I loved that bike and it looked like that when I stopped riding it and got my first car. Gave it to the little kid across the street and within 2 months it looked like it got caught in a tornado, shame on him!! Made me sad, my parents taught me better than that. They also taught me the art of giving.

Okay here's mine as of today. The blue a red bike is a Sear's copy of a Sting Ray, Ted Williams brand. Everyone was copying Sting Rays. This one was pretty close. I added a new seat 16" front wheel, springer fork, and sissy bar. Painted the chain guard, and hand-cut a Sting Ray sticker. Paid $5 at a yard sale for it. Next to it was a Sting Ray with the 16" front wheel and springer fork repop someone had added a two-speed Bendix axle and sissy bar. I found a Pea Picker decal on EBAY and added it. I think I paid $200.

The blue one is a repop but looks to be barely ridden. The copper one is a Sting Ray from Schwinn's 100th anniversary in 2021. They didn't make many of the copper-colored ones and it is like the 1966 bike had as a kid. Paid $125 new. I'm adding the springer fork and 16" front wheel but I'm going to have to do some cutting and welding on the new fork.

ted.jpg
pea.jpg
blue gold.jpg

Last edited:
For you bike collectors. I bought a strange bike from a rich Asian dude here in town. It's never been ridden. There are no brand names on it. I believe it was the prototype for the Schwinn Orange County Choppers. It's full size. It's black and has a sprocket on the left side of the rear axel. I know in 2001 Schwinn was sold in a bankruptcy auction and everything is now made in China so this fits.

Look closely at my junk room photo. I had two old Cragars and a piece of glass. Voila, a table.

Most of the blade or billet styles from the 90's
really dates the builds, not a fan

'I'm not a big fan of'
anything over 20" on the rear or 18" (maybe 19") or so on the front
(even then, to me it really depends on the car & style)
of any muscle car era car/s, it looks too cartoonish...

IMO take it or leave it, I don't really care (opinions flowing here)

The tires really need some sidewall to look right
*(not the rubberband 2" sidewalls looking tires)
68-70 B-bodies midsize 5 cars, have huge wheel wells
15" min. diameter wheels, to help fill them up

with very few exceptions, yes I do like a few

Reflecting & looking back on it now
unless you are going for an OE off the showroom look
the OE 14" Chrome Roadwheels with G-60s rear & 70s front on my 68 RR
looked like rollerskate wheels

wheels & tires are a personal preference deal
that's mine

Been a day 2 guy since conception

Last edited:
I was watching one of those Sunday morning car shows. And a couple custom rim guys were on. And the word Cragar rims came up. And that today there are many other options. One of them said. "We are still chasing the success of that rim. And it's a damn good design even by today's standards. So I'm not saying nothing bad!" Its always nice to see younger having respect!

Interesting how a thread about some ugly wheels morphed into a thread on bikes with banana seats. Man I love this place.

Interesting how a thread about some ugly wheels morphed into a thread on bikes with banana seats. Man I love this place.
I do see a pattern here… a lot of car guys were fix-it up bicycle guys back when this was our mode of transportation aside from walking. I had hand me down bikes I had to fix – one awful experience trying to pop a wheelie – front tire came off – wish it had been a girl’s bike I was on...same deal when the chain broke another time flattening my balls.

I think it was my fault.:D
19EFC387-3797-4608-BAEA-24F82357188D.jpeg

1968 Schwinn Lemon Peeler.

I do see a pattern here… a lot of car guys were fix-it up bicycle guys back when this was our mode of transportation aside from walking. I had hand me down bikes I had to fix – one awful experience trying to pop a wheelie – front tire came off – wish it had been a girl’s bike I was on...same deal when the chain broke another time flattening my balls.
I, too, used to work on my bike. But when it came to the things I didn't know how to do I called in the big guns... Jack Muldowney. His garage was a block away from my house and I would walk my bike up there and ask him to fix it. He'd say, 'get out of here kid, I build race cars, not bikes.' 20 minutes later I was riding it. While I was waiting I got to look at Shirley's dragster.

I, too, used to work on my bike. But when it came to the things I didn't know how to do I called in the big guns... Jack Muldowney. His garage was a block away from my house and I would walk my bike up there and ask him to fix it. He'd say, 'get out of here kid, I build race cars, not bikes.' 20 minutes later I was riding it. While I was waiting I got to look at Shirley's dragster.
Sounds like a... 'Heart like a Wheel' tale,

or Even more so
Hollywood Knights 1980 flick
when Jimmy Shine & Tony Danza's character
that drives the 57 Blown Bel Air/Project X
were benchracing BS-ing & talking the car Jimmy Shine had built
a 40 something Yellow custom with 8 Strombergs (?),
a new 8 Track & veered off reminiscing about their youth
about their broken bikes/flat tire or something
& the Rod Shop working on it
when;
they rolled up & they "asked them to help them fix it",
they said that exact same deal;
"go away kids we work on cars/hot rods"
then the hot rod shop owner started to fix the bike
& they were off & rolling again :poke:

great flick

:luvplace:

way to stay on topic guys :lol:

Sounds like a... 'Heart like a Wheel' tale,

or Even more so
Hollywood Knights 1980 flick
when Jimmy Shine & Tony Danza's character
that drives the 57 Blown Bel Air/Project X
were benchracing BS-ing & talking the car Jimmy Shine had built
a 40 something Yellow custom with 8 Strombergs (?),
a new 8 Track & veered off reminiscing about their youth
about their broken bikes/flat tire or something
& the Rod Shop working on it
when;
they rolled up & they "asked them to help them fix it",
they said that exact same deal;
"go away kids we work on cars/hot rods"
then the hot rod shop owner started to fix the bike
& they were off & rolling again :poke:

great flick

:luvplace:

way to stay on topic guys :lol:

Unfortunately... GM ruined the ‘57 210 2 door sedan with heavy batteries and an electric motor.:(

Auto Transport Service
Back