• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Unbelievable: Sold car now he want's his money back

Steve, that was a Nice Car. '64 2dr Post, Manual Trans, Nice Paint, & Interior. PERFECT for a Big Block Transplant. I wouldn't think twice about the sale. If the New Owner wants to sell it, so be it. Personally speaking, I would not take it back...
Just an added observation: Can't believe there's 5 pages on this topic, in a Day !!!
Has Anyone Noticed the "State" of Our Nation Lately ???
Makes you wonder why ???

1. Caveat emptor: This phrase means “let the buyer beware.” It is a warning to buyers that they are responsible for ensuring that the goods or services they purchase are of good quality and fit for purpose. It is often used in cases where a buyer has purchased a defective product.
Every court in the land recognizes that this is implied unless the contract spells out something different.
This ^^^. Unless you've offered a warranty. The only recourse he has if you MISREPRESENTED the goods, and it is his responsibility to PROVE SO. So far, there's something VERY shaky going on in the background here.

I would be interested in knowing just what he see's in the car that tells him it's a 4 dr conversion.....just the way I think even if I'm 100% sure on the car being originally a 2dr. Funny how I watched a GY Cars show last night where they are getting ready to use a 4dr platform to rebuild a 2dr car. I already knew that most of the stuff from the cowl down is the same on lots of models but like already mentioned, you have to be good to 'fix' the areas that are 4dr only on the platform to make it absolutely right and not noticeable. One similar example is taking a roof from a 66-67 Belvedred 4dr sedan and putting it on a 2dr sedan is removing the B pillar and re-attaching it in the right place for the 2dr and making it look right once removing it.....it's actually easy.

And btw, his name isn't Bob with a last name starting with an M is it? If it is, I'd offer him a 2" diameter dowel rod with one end rounded a bit and the other end nailed to a square piece of plywood.....he'll know what to do with it.
I know a guy who did this with a 4 dr 68 Satellite and made it into a 68 GTX. The interior still has the 4dr back seat, and speaker panel. Still has the 4dr front bench if I remember I think even the wheel houses were different. If you are looking you know. Sorry the OP has to deal with this BS as you get older you find you want to deal with less of it UNLESS you never matured...

I know a guy who did this with a 4 dr 68 Satellite and made it into a 68 GTX. The interior still has the 4dr back seat, and speaker panel. Still has the 4dr front bench if I remember I think even the wheel houses were different. If you are looking you know. Sorry the OP has to deal with this BS as you get older you find you want to deal with less of it UNLESS you never matured...
Did the 70 inner and outer wheel houses change for the 1970 cars? According to what's his name on GY Cars, they are the same.....and I know all too well about dealing with never matured adults. I dumped a long time friend a year or so ago because of his 7th grade antics. Seems the older he got, the worse he was and I got tired of it.

Did the 70 inner and outer wheel houses change for the 1970 cars? According to what's his name on GY Cars, they are the same.....and I know all too well about dealing with never matured adults. I dumped a long time friend a year or so ago because of his 7th grade antics. Seems the older he got, the worse he was and I got tired of it.
I thought something was messed up in the wheel well area but don't remember it was 20 years ago at least.. Parts book will tell me I will have to look.

When We talked, I said you can bring it back, and if its in the same condition as it left here I would give him his money back less my inconvenience $$$, ONCE I RESELL IT.
He said he will think it over and get back to me.
I hope you didn't just enable a scam.
Did you tell him it needed to be back at your place TODAY?
He could be doing all sorts of nonsense now that you have given him an out afterwards. The longer this goes on the more opportunity for it to go really badly there is. You will need to go over the car with a fine tooth comb if you are considering taking it back now. Plus did he ever get it to start?

You are not obligated to deal with any of this no matter what swan song he is on about. I hope your inconvenience fee is like half the selling price. You already signed up to repair the car before it even is back at your home with what you have offered him now.

Best of luck, I hope this all turns out for the best.

After this amount of time, I'd say it's all over except for this thread!

I have a different situation here. I had a guy drive 4 hours to my house last week to buy a car and when I ran it up to the gas station for fuel that morning, the fuel pump took a dump. It's a Fitech pump for a fuel injection system and I could not source it locally. By the time I got word to the buyer he was less than an hour away, so he decided to come look at the car anyway. He says he still wants it so when I got the new pump on day before yesterday I called him and he was in Amarillo, TX. I called again yesterday and he was in Georgia. Dude! You're going the wrong way! Who knows if I'll make this deal...

I had a guy come down from NY to MD to buy a T-Bird I had for sale. He liked the car, looked at the title and noticed the previous owner didn't include their middle initial when signing the title. Oh he went nuts. Said no way would NY accept this title. It was Saturday and I did some fast calling around, found a local (private) title office that was open. Got ahold of the owner I bought it from and had them meet us at the title place and with the proper forms got it all straightened out to satisfy the buyer. Quick action and with all of the stars aligned I got her done. You never know what might transpire during any transaction.

When We talked, I said you can bring it back, and if its in the same condition as it left here I would give him his money back less my inconvenience $$$, ONCE I RESELL IT.
He said he will think it over and get back to me.

He's considering bringing it back, and not getting his money less whatever $ you decide, UNTIL you sell it?

This guy is a kook. You should separate yourself from this guy completely. Entangling yourself with any more dealings with him is just asking for trouble. That's two really questionable things this guy has done. Do you think it's going to get any better? I don't think you should feel like this is your problem to solve. If he does not like the car at this point he can resell it.

Jeez it's been a week. Your far too nice. Tell him you gave the money to your Wife and she went shopping, It's over. Peace out Girlscout..

For years I’ve opted to sell my vehicles (daily’s) on my own after the BS with trade-in’s. One bad experience with my dad selling his car, gave me a better lesson on how to sell. Sure most of you know this; but I make a copy of the title signing w/ buyer both this and original. I have a format as well that details the sell: Date, time (to the minute), mileage, ‘as-is’ final sale, no longer having the vehicle insured, plates removed. Copy for the buyer to sign and one for me. I give the buyer an envelope stamped to address to the DMV giving two options with the title – I will send it, or we go together to a mail box and drop it in. I have photos of the car to have as my record for any body damage, dings, etc.

Owner of a car service shop has allowed me to park it there for sale that’s worked nicely. I don’t have people come to my house.

Only glitch I had was when I sold my old Dakota to a guy, just had a new fuel pump installed at the shop and informed the buyer about it. Two days later, his wife calls all peeved about it running crappy. She goes on about having 5 kids, poor, saying they got a bad deal. Told her to take a breath having an idea the pump might have been defective. I said take it to the shop and have them look at it. Called the shop and they took a look at it for me. Pump was bad and could still have it replaced and covered under my warranty, so they didn’t pay for it.
Lol, poor with 5 kids? Let your hubby buy a V8 4x4 Dakota as your main mode of wheels???

I had one of my Chargers less than a week when I spun a bunch of bearings. Don't know what happened, I was just idling along downtown at 10 mph. (that's my story). Never thought to return it, I'm so dumb.

Has he tried to register the car in his state ? DMV laws are different in each state.
If you do "Buy it back" you are not really doing as refund, no such thing on a private sale.
Make sure you do your due diligence and have him make out a bill of sale with any conditions, have it notarized and have him pay for any costs to get the car shipped back to you and all costs, fees etc.. involved so you end up "whole".
Legally meaning at the end it is just like it never happened and cost you nothing.

This guy is a kook. You should separate yourself from this guy completely. Entangling yourself with any more dealings with him is just asking for trouble. That's two really questionable things this guy has done. Do you think it's going to get any better? I don't think you should feel like this is your problem to solve. If he does not like the car at this point he can resell it.
Couldn't agree more. No way I would take that car back not knowing what's transpired since. No way. This deal was DONE the minute funds were exchanged, title exchanged, and owner took possession. DONE. Everything from that point on is this guy trying to re-sell the car back to the prior owner. That is essentially what this situation is.

I sold a '70 Challenger years back. Beautiful, all done 440/4spd car.

Guy drives off and I immediately regret selling the car, but such is life, right ? Ten minutes later he comes back and said the car has a cracked head and I have to do something.

I said " Hold on, I'll get your money."

He said " F*** you, you're not getting this car back."

I said " Then WTF do you want, a rebate ?"

Turns out it was a loose header bolt pissing a little coolant.
So how did you respond to him? Anyone that says FU to me ends the conversation at that point.

Sold my 64 Savoy Monday, came from Ohio with a friend to look it over.
Had it up un the lift so they could look it over good.
They looked at it for nearly an hour.
Made the deal Cash and I drove it onto his trailer.
Yesterday he calls and said I want to return the car. WTF.
He said he thinks I made a 2 door out of a 4 door.
I told him the vin will tell you it is a 2 door.
Said he did not believe me and wants to bring it back and get his money Baack.
And he could not get it started and had to push it off the trailer. I started it several times and drove it up on to his trailer.
NOW WHAT TO DO? Buyers remorse.
repercussions?
If car is as stated and not altered. The sale should be final. If altered he might have a legal case. It doesn't seem to be the case. Sounds like his favorite brother in law gave him a bunch a crap. RE: buyers remorse.

I would assume you you signed the title over to him. That's a final sale as far as I would be concerned. No refunds..

If you do "Buy it back" you are not really doing as refund, no such thing on a private sale.
This is a VERY valid point. If the car is now in HIS name you will be on the hook for state sales tax on the buy-back value !!!

So how did you respond to him? Anyone that says FU to me ends the conversation at that point.
Oddly enough, I was uncharacteristically reserved as I had a serious case of sellers remorse and thought I might get the car back. What I probably should have done was said "Yep, cracked head, my bad, here's your money back." :BangHead:

Auto Transport Service
Back