• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Unbelievable: Sold car now he want's his money back

FU64RY

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
4:58 AM
Reaction score
Sold my 64 Savoy Monday, came from Ohio with a friend to look it over.
Had it up un the lift so they could look it over good.
They looked at it for nearly an hour.
Made the deal Cash and I drove it onto his trailer.
Yesterday he calls and said I want to return the car. WTF.
He said he thinks I made a 2 door out of a 4 door.
I told him the vin will tell you it is a 2 door.
Said he did not believe me and wants to bring it back and get his money Baack.
And he could not get it started and had to push it off the trailer. I started it several times and drove it up on to his trailer.
NOW WHAT TO DO? Buyers remorse.
repercussions?

Did you have him sign a receipt indicating the sale was final as is?

That’s a decision you have to make personally. But I and everyone I know who has bought a car of any vintage like that knows the deal is final once it’s driven away. And it’s been gone nearly a week? A lot could have happened to that car between Monday when it left and now.

But keep a straight head about it. Talk to him. Hopefully you both can come up with a reasonable resolution here. And if you must draw a line here, the sale was final once he paid you and drove it away.

It's a done deal but if you felt you wanted to refund and take the car back to avoid the hassle I would probably keep 5-10% in case the guy damaged it. Probably not getting the full story, obviously he did something to it now that it won't start.. Good luck and sorry you have to deal with this situation..

Assuming your post is accurate, you're dealing with an idiot. If you know what you're looking at, you'd know a clipped car in a nanosecond. As stated, sale is final. Once vehicle has left your possession, it is now HIS property and you have no interest in it. ( Tell him you think he's trying to pull a switcheroo, that's as ridiculous as his premise. )

It's his problem now, he owns the car as you stated he check the car, life it, start it, and old car always have issues, he's a man so be a man deal with it.

Ya, If you sold him the car in good faith and disclosed all important info you had. I doubt Id refund any money. He’s welcome to return the car though!

No way, not after a week.
I have, forever, always had people sign what they paid and that they know the sale is "as is" and the date. I put my name, and they put theirs, we both get one of the same thing.

You have no idea what the guy did with that car. If it has been gone a week, did he just let it sit there that long? For all you know he did WOT burn outs for 3 days straight and tweaked something as to why he can't start it now. He will show up, push it into your driveway and dissapear and you will find out he threw a rod.

Could be as simple as his missus is pissed he spent the money and he wants out of the doghouse, but is the type that can never own up to a mistake and is saving face with his buddies.

Any way you slice it, it's too bad things go that way sometimes but you need to be abrupt and let him know sales are final and you know what you sold him, his claims are false. Buyer's remorse is one thing, throwing a bunch of odd claims of scam stuff is a huge red flag.

as I said in another thread...... "this hobby has become very challenging" ....... for a number of reasons...... GOOD LUCK!

Last edited:
He's got buyers remorse and is making up excuses. None of which are your problem now. Offer him $5k less to buy it back and watch him explode.

Sold my 64 Savoy Monday, came from Ohio with a friend to look it over.
Had it up un the lift so they could look it over good.
They looked at it for nearly an hour.
Made the deal Cash and I drove it onto his trailer.
Yesterday he calls and said I want to return the car. WTF.
He said he thinks I made a 2 door out of a 4 door.
I told him the vin will tell you it is a 2 door.
Said he did not believe me and wants to bring it back and get his money Baack.
And he could not get it started and had to push it off the trailer. I started it several times and drove it up on to his trailer.
NOW WHAT TO DO? Buyers remorse.
repercussions?
He forgot to ask his wife. Make him a deal. He can return it but there's a $5000 fee!

Half price at most. You do not know what wrecked in the week.

But really, no returns. Car was examined at length, started several times, driven into a trailer from the lift, done deal.

Lol, saying it was a more-door? Wonder how long it took to dream up this one. Maybe he thinks it’s fuel injected or flooded the carb? Sounds like buyer’s remorse or found another car he wants. There’s all kinds of…people. As posted, don’t know if he wrecked something in the time he had it. You didn't tell him your sold your car so you could buy it back, did ya? lol

Yep, simple. HE can sell it if he doesn’t want it..

And the other scenario.. He swapped a few hard to find parts & now he's done with it and returning it is the quickest easiest way to get his $$$ back...

He bought it, he owns it... Period..

Oh, tell him you already spent the money so he's wasting his time..

wonder what he put the engine in he took out of it. ether that or his wife found out and cut him off ....lol
his car now tho.

Auto Transport Service
Back