• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Unbelievable: Sold car now he want's his money back

He just called wants to bring it back on the 3rd of Oct. When he comes in for the Hershey show., trying to work things out. He did nothing with the title. Cluster fu*k.
I assume the odometer will match the number that the car left with....since the purchaser couldn't get the car started.

I would be all over the car checking everything thoroughly before even contemplating offering any money back now. Seems like you have committed yourself to a buy-back deal.....at least make it work in your favour now - if for nothing else but the inconvenience, and potential lost sales to someone else.

Tread carefully is my advice. :thumbsup:

Did someone say "20% restocking fee"?

...or 30% "royal pain in my ***, you F'n idiot fee".

A car that is still titled in your name. A car that's been out of sight, out of your possession, for how long ? There's NO way I would entertain BUYING ( that's what you're doing, not taking ) that car back. At the very least, there's a document I would require that seller of the car sign & NOTARIZE. Details of the document would include, and not limited to, the vehicle I.D., the EXACT timeframe of the seller's possession from your sale until now, a description of the car's whereabouts and purpose since the sale, the vehicle has not been operated, has not been tampered or altered, no parts have been removed, switched, or altered, and a guarantee the vehicle is the same in every way, as the prior transaction. And, of course, have a few witnesses present. I would also demand a sizable amount of money in escrow to cover costs of an immediate COMPLETE, thorough inspection, examination, and troubleshoot by a third part certified mechanic; all related costs to be borne by the seller. The heavily discounted price of your buying the car is up to you.

A car that is still titled in your name. A car that's been out of sight, out of your possession, for how long ? There's NO way I would entertain BUYING ( that's what you're doing, not taking ) that car back. At the very least, there's a document I would require that seller of the car sign & NOTARIZE. Details of the document would include, and not limited to, the vehicle I.D., the EXACT timeframe of the seller's possession from your sale until now, a description of the car's whereabouts and purpose since the sale, the vehicle has not been operated, has not been tampered or altered, no parts have been removed, switched, or altered, and a guarantee the vehicle is the same in every way, as the prior transaction. And, of course, have a few witnesses present. I would also demand a sizable amount of money in escrow to cover costs of an immediate COMPLETE, thorough inspection, examination, and troubleshoot by a third part certified mechanic; all related costs to be borne by the seller. The heavily discounted price of your buying the car is up to you.

Seeing as how I don't do any of that stuff when buying a car, that sounds a whole lot more like taking it back than buying it.

Seeing as how I don't do any of that stuff when buying a car, that sounds a whole lot more like taking it back than buying it.
Did you read the OP ? Different circimstances. When you sell a car and the transaction is done, it's sold. It immediately becomes the new owners property.

Did you read the OP ? Different circimstances. When you sell a car and the transaction is done, it's sold. It immediately becomes the new owners property.

Understood. That's just a lot of steps to go through for something that I wouldn't even consider doing. Hopefully this works out to the OP's satisfaction.

call him back, tell him your lawyer advised against it.......... done

Last edited:

"Hey, what happened to the 426 Hemi that was in it?! :rolleyes:

It's coming back on the 11th next month. Originally to be on the 4th but said it would be to much for him at Hershey. I think he vends there. He said it's in the garage safe and sound.

It's coming back on the 11th next month. Originally to be on the 4th but said it would be to much for him at Hershey. I think he vends there. He said it's in the garage safe and sound.

Okay...I'll be that guy

Why are you doing this? You are bending over backwards to appease a stranger who knowingly purchased another Man's car.

What are we missing?

Okay...I'll be that guy

Why are you doing this? You are bending over backwards to appease a stranger who knowingly purchased another Man's car.

What are we missing?
I agree.
Also, why post about it here if you were just going to go ahead and do it anyway?

It’s almost as he did a test drive for 3 weeks to see if it’s something he really wanted or not.

The "new" information that he's a vendor at Hershey (and therefore somewhat of a car guy) raises a BIG red flag for me. I would tell him it's a done deal and his to do with what he pleases. Just my $0.02

If I were going to take a car back from someone, it would be a now or never situation. Not the 3rd or 11th or on and on. Youre doing him a favor, its supposed to be inconvenient for him.

Auto Transport Service
Back