• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Uncle Tony says Mopar engines have a fatal flaw

that happens when you red line it at 10,000 RPM :poke:
:lol:

Well you got that right. When I first bought the car it may have been treated a little harshly and spun a couple of rods in the first year. Second time I‘m thinking the guy I had do it - didn’t do me any favors but I was young, dumb and a little poor. The 3rd time I took it to a very highly regarded tectonically school (Dunwoody Institute) in Mpls. They kept the car all winter and completely tore it down to nuts and bolts and rebuilt the whole engine. The only thing was they wouldn’t do anything that wasn’t pure stock cause I wanted a new bigger cam and a few other things. The cam in there was already a a rumbler so I just had them put the same one back in rather than going pure stock with that. When Dunwoody does something - they do it right - warranties and all. Cost me $500. Zero for the labor. Had zero problems with her forever after - until I restored the entire car - every
thing 3 decades later.

But you’re absolutely right I street raced the hell out of that thing - strip too. And I did run it up until you could hear the valves floating many times. Only used my factory tach so you were never really sure where you were. You went by sound and feel. You know what I’m talking about. Boy those were the days……..
Chryslers fatal flaw was not installing Rev limiters. Too much power for human beings lol.

Can you imagine how much would have been saved on warranty claims??

Chryslers fatal flaw was not installing Rev limiters. Too much power for human beings lol.

Can you imagine how much would have been saved on warranty claims??
Want to put it that way maybe they should have also added torque limiters also.

My opinion remains the same Uncle Tony doesn't know Mopars. My 7000+RPM rod bearings never failed. He can stick to bowties.

Edit: If he was lifelong Mopar guy, how could he say that the oil pan was the flaw? Heavy pistons combined with excessive RPM were a problem. Never a rod bearing problem for me, but my high RPM wore out several OEM steel cranks, never broke one of those either.

Last edited:
He would probably really stroke out over Ford FEs and 289/302s with their front sump.

Something I have noticed, it does seem that many engines with a long pick up tube seem to wear bearings out faster. I have seen more Ford bearings worn to the copper than Chevy's. It can be a thing with Mopar's as well.

Something I have noticed, it does seem that many engines with a long pick up tube seem to wear bearings out faster. I have seen more Ford bearings worn to the copper than Chevy's. It can be a thing with Mopar's as well.
Interesting, I tore apart 2 76 truck 400s lately and both were showing some copper..
I chalked it up to farmers cranking up the timing/and or/towing but who knows..

It's more oil flow than tube length. I think we can all agree Uncle Tony is not hitting on all 8.

We are talking about a guy that put a slant six in a Miata.

1 FPP.JPG

I don't hate UT like a lot of you, money does not always fix your problems just empties your pockets, sometimes you gotta do the work.
Fatal flaw my ***. Over zealous drivers and poor maintenance is what blows up most engines. Fatal flaw was in his next video about Pontiacs cast rods. Chevrolet was first, most numbers, and everything is interchangeable is why the aftermarket loves Chevrolet. Pull that flathead out of your '27 T bucket in 1958 and drop in a 2 times more powerful SBC, same weight and size. Came out of a boring car (tri-five Chevy sedans) that they made Camry type numbers of. All SBC intakes swap, if you manufacturer one it fits them all, distributors and water pumps swap across small and big blocks, pull a distributor out of that blown up 283 and drop it in your 396.
Want to hot rod your 2 bbl 265 SBC in 1960? Get a intake and cam from a Corvette now you have a 4 bbl solid lifter cam 265 that will rev to 7500 rpm. All it cost you was a gaskets and the parts themselves. No special rockers or pushrods.
It ain't the oil pan.

The sump location is not a FATAL FLAW. In my '65 Coronet BB I ran a 906 pan that was 2" deeper with the stock pickup extended. Well over a thousand runs at 7000 RPM or more. Rod bearings remained intact.

Ever try changing the plugs on a V8 Monza Spyder...
I had 3 of them back in the day. 2- 9/16" bolts screw upwards from the bottom, it really wasn't that hard.
On a 68 GTO with A/C, you have to remove the A/C compressor, much harder.

I subscribed to his channel a few years ago and some of the stuff he posts, I gotta shake my head. If he wants to cater to the young up and coming gearhead, that's fine. Get your facts straight, first. Some of the things he posts and says, I dunno if he is just a straight out BS artist from New York and blathering to those people in Tennessee or he really believes what he says. I wonder why I keep the subscription to his channel. Nick's Garage is MUCH better (maybe a little long winded but at least he's pretty factual).

I believe that most fatal flaws on anything are experts.

I doubt Uncle Tony has ever built a BB body and raced it. I have and know his opinion is just plain BS.

I doubt Uncle Tony has ever built a BB body and raced it. I have and know his opinion is just plain BS.
Haha the guy should stick to his cool 4dr slant 6 Dart garbage projects.

No fatal flaw on my original 440 RB high performance engine. Since the 80's when I started driving it till now I can smoke the tires in first gear for as long as I want and at times have really cranked this engine hard. Never spun a bearing! Chrysler didn't build my car to drag race, it was engineered to pound the streets and it does that impressively. The entire package my Coronet came with from the factory is fantastic for 1970 and still impresses me today. No need for a Chevy here ever.

What is being said about the chrysler cars not being designed for v8's is ignorant. The engineers at chrysler would take offense to the idea that they didn't design a 69 charger for a hemi or 440. By 67 the a bodies also were redesigned to fit big blocks and 727s. We have olds, chevy's and pontiacs along w a,b and e body mopars. Some things are easier to work on mopars, some things are easier on gm's. Some things there is no difference.
Anyone ever change the rear spark plugs on a '66 or '67 SB Chevy II? How about a Monza with the 262? '67 Mercury Comet with a 427? All the manufacturers have had their Oops or Gotcha engineering issues. Doesn't mean the car wasn't designed for that power plant it's just human error or an Oh well that's the way it's got to be from a production cost stand point.

Anyone ever change the rear spark plugs on a '66 or '67 SB Chevy II? How about a Monza with the 262? '67 Mercury Comet with a 427? All the manufacturers have had their Oops or Gotcha engineering issues. Doesn't mean the car wasn't designed for that power plant it's just human error or an Oh well that's the way it's got to be from a production cost stand point.
Very true. Engineers generally are interested in making the final product and the manufacturing process and not much else... It's often perceived that if it was assembled in can be taken apart. As far as servicing to keep it running, I don't think its high up on the list...may not even be consideration.... possibly till the fall out of unhappy customers. I am a engineer and sometimes there will be a design that is easy to service...other times it's a fail and lots of cussing is involved to repair it.

Biggest challenge is people have different mechanical aptitudes. 5 minute job for one person is 5 hrs for the next, some people shouldn't own any tools.Lol

One thing that Tony does have going for him is that he looks comfortable onscreen.
I have seen plenty of other YouTube guys that come across as awkward, unrehearsed and uncomfortable.
There is a reason that so few people are unqualified to be on TV and "presentation" is a huge part of it.
There are numerous people that are smart and skilled yet they have poor communication skills, speak too slow or too quietly, etc.
The guy from Graveyard Cars....Cousin Douggie is one example. He seems well skilled with the hands on aspects but comes across as a moron with dialog and acting. We have all seen the opposite though, the guy that is well polished and charming but isn't adept at anything.

Auto Transport Service
Back