• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Under dash courtesy lights

green 66

Local time
2:08 AM
Reaction score
Trying to install a light under dash when door opens. Sliced into jab switch but did not work. Do I need a special light?( 66 Belvedere 2 door) Thanks

door jam switch feeds ground. Bulb must get full positive source. No need for chassis ground so socket needs to get two wires and being isolated from chassis. that will make it work

you can also try to get a dome light socket kind ( if available around ) and use a 1004 bulb which base is isolated from filament and gets two contacts to feed the filaments throught it.

It can be done also with a relay and a regular bulb and socket if you want

one wire to a battery positive source and the other one to the door jam switch.

Dunno the options for positive source on a 66 on its fuse block, but the cigar lighter could be one source for it. Also brakes pedal switch pink wire.

Because is the ground from door jam switch which will swithes it off or on.

And must be isolated because the constant source comes from positive. If you wire it unpropperlly, you could short it out!

This is using regular sockets. Now if he is using a dome light socket with the 1004 bulb, it doesn't matter because the bulb itself gets the filament isolated from base/socket and it gets feeded just by the contacts.

Thanks for the input. Where can I get the factory style courtesy lights to do it the way the factory did it?

I think 70s A bodies got the map light integrated as courtesy light too down the dash, and this is a plastic housing setup using a regular single contact bulb. Maps lights are also turned on by ground because they light on also with doors

And here is:
vhaEY7WG2hgt1PbE_6xEp44lHWhwRQu47cG4qHmWcMYbKxaeq21LQFaLnypAclwhsaYvWo9d_f3QC6b7_2gZttHyCttwAqi1.jpg

But dunno the kind of bulb they use

Btw, if you are interested, it can be made to work with a time delay system... if you want.

Because is the ground from door jam switch which will swithes it off or on.

And must be isolated because the constant source comes from positive. If you wire it unpropperlly, you could short it out!

This is using regular sockets. Now if he is using a dome light socket with the 1004 bulb, it doesn't matter because the bulb itself gets the filament isolated from base/socket and it gets feeded just by the contacts.

Fascinating. I just dont get electrical stuff...

Auto Transport Service
Back