• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

undercoating

67Bbody

Local time
5:37 AM
Reaction score
I am removing the front fenders on my 67 Coronet 500 so I can paint the front clip. I am replacing all the rubber seals that clip to the inside of the fenders. This car has original thick black undercoating everywhere. I would like to duplicate the thickness and texture/ roughness of the old stuff. Does anyone sell that stuff or is there a way to duplicate it?

There’s an endless list of products for undercoating as I recently spent hours selecting stuff to use on my Dakota body restoration. POR 15 is a popular (pricy) product; but didn’t select it as it’s been reported it doesn’t adhere well to surfaces non-rusted, primered, etc. Read reviews of the stuff detaching. Eastwood has some nice products I’ve used, you could check their list out on their website. Used some of their products on the box and on my ’63 for getting inside the frame and doors…interior areas. Some products create a thicker rough coating like trunk or truck bed liner. I ended up using a Rust oleum product called 2-in-1 rust reformer that had good reviews, duplicating the old factory tar coating might be close with multiple coats; but was not in a position trying to match existing coating.

I used T Rex kit, although its not concourse correct, you can adjust your air pressure to get any texture you want. I prefer the smoother Bedliner application but there were spots that I laid it on a little thicker where I couldn't get the original off.

Here are a couple of pics of Resto Rick’s product if this helps.

F0D80861-94B1-482C-919A-E708321D0548.jpeg CB7D71B8-0F90-43CC-BB79-9F4B4CC85B63.jpeg

Last edited:
I used a three part Bedliner material that gets mixed and then sprayed out of a hopper gun (for drywall). It might be a little too bright in the photo but I would think the 49 year old stuff has lost some of it's shine over the years. I can get the name of the product if it is something you like. If I remember correctly is was about a $100 to do the entire bottom side of the car. Very tough stuff, no runs, no drips, and sticks like glue. It cures hard, not sticky. You can adjust the texture by changing the amount of kevlar you add to the mix.

100_9170.JPG
100_9174.JPG

I used a three part Bedliner material that gets mixed and then sprayed out of a hopper gun (for drywall). It might be a little too bright in the photo but I would think the 49 year old stuff has lost some of it's shine over the years. I can get the name of the product if it is something you like. If I remember correctly is was about a $100 to do the entire bottom side of the car. Very tough stuff, no runs, no drips, and sticks like glue. It cures hard, not sticky. You can adjust the texture by changing the amount of kevlar you add to the mix.

View attachment 1205201 View attachment 1205202
that looks pretty close to what I have now

Auto Transport Service
Back